Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lug replacements

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 09:33 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Eaglerover22
What do you mean by "buggered"? I tried a 27 mm on my lugs (and I've always used a 6pt socket), and its just too small. It won't even begin to fit over the nuts. And I tried it on all my lug nuts. The 28mm 6pt is a perfect fit. Almost all my lug nuts appear to be in perfect shape. So when you say "buggered" are you suggesting there is something wrong with my lug nuts? I.e. warped or somehow expanded, and is this a safety issue that I should attend to immediately? Or do you just mean chewed up from years of overzealous mechanics using impact wrenches?
Buggered is just an english mannerism meaning something off or tampered with. Can you take a photo of your lug nuts, maybe they're not original or something weird?

Old 07-13-2012, 09:46 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I understand the literal translation, just curious in the mechanical sense, because I'm 100% positive my lugs are 28mm. The 28mm fits perfectly snug on the lugs, and the 27mm is way too small. I'll take a pic tomorrow and post it up. But I'm pretty sure I've read other posts where people's lugs were 28mm.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

The issue is that the caps try to rotate on the lug nuts if you use the wrong socket, like a 12 point or one that is too large. When they rotate a little, they flare out, and from that point on the 27mm won't fit easily. I think the hammering action of the impact gun amplifies this problem. I used an impact on one of my lug nuts recently while removing it, and it kind of got snug in the 27mm socket.... it took a little persuasion to remove. From that point on, I just used a big harbor freight breaker bar.

The caps are replaceable, but they are still too expensive... they only save you about half of what the aftermarket lugs nuts at britishpacific cost.

Land Range Rover Discovery Genuine OEM Factory Wheel Nut Stainless Steel Cap

Old 07-13-2012, 10:30 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm in the same boat. My lugs look perfect. But the 27mm is too small. Doesn't even come close to getting over the lugs. My independent rover mechanic friend told me 28mm. He has worked on my Rover for years before I purchased it. haha maybe he told me 28mm because he had done some prior work with an impact and knew the correct one wouldn't fit anymore...

Old 07-13-2012, 11:21 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know what to say, but a picture is worth a thousand words (I've used this socket for over 15 years) The difficulty with these lug nuts is the tin(or whatever it is) cap over the top of the actual nuts. They are soft and easily deformed. One hit with an oversized socket and they get stretched and twisted.

Last edited by Bkreutz; 07-13-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:30 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had to get a new set recently. one factor that can cause the warping - i'm told - is that water gets in there between the cap and the lug nut. i guess after time it can warp the tin cap or whatever.

the impact or incorrect tool explanation makes more sense to me, but figured i'd share what i've been told in case it helps anyone.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:17 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Eaglerover22
So when you say "buggered" are you suggesting there is something wrong with my lug nuts? I.e. warped or somehow expanded, and is this a safety issue that I should attend to immediately?
No, not a safety issue, unless it prevents you from correctly torquing them.
It's just the metal caps that become deformed.

For those with caps that look fine but must use a 28mm, either they are expanded from rust under the cap, or their are some odd-ball size lug nut.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

I just noticed that rovahfarm is selling D2 lug nuts for $5.60. That's just about the cheapest I've ever seen.

RovahFarm for all your new Land Rover Parts and Accessories

Part number is ANR3679 to make find then easier.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:51 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by jafir
I just noticed that rovahfarm is selling D2 lug nuts for $5.60. That's just about the cheapest I've ever seen.

RovahFarm for all your new Land Rover Parts and Accessories

Part number is ANR3679 to make find then easier.
Thanks for that. Just ordered a new set for $133... not bad seeing as AB is a little less than twice that.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:07 PM
Winching

Anyone have any opinions on these? Look too good to be true...

Complete Set Of 20 Factory Oem Land Range Rover Discovery Lug Lugs Nuts Bolts | eBay

Quick Reply: lug replacements