Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

m, s and d lights flashing with p0722 error

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 09:27 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default m, s and d lights flashing with p0722 error

Well I am back to the drawing board.

My M, S and D lights keep flashing and my 02 D2 goes into limp home mode. I thought I had it fixed but it happened today. I was low on tranny fluid and it ran fine for a day but went back into limp home mode once. Does anyone know what else it could be.

Discovery 2 2002, 119k miles
I have replaced the battery, getting 14 volts when on, haven't done a heavy load test yet
alternator tested and that was fine
battery connections are clear of corosion
XYZ switch has been replaced
Tranny fluid full

I am getting the error code p0722, could the transmission be bad? Please help not sure what else it could be. hoping it is not the transmission since we just purchased it in October.

Thanks

Old 07-12-2013, 09:29 PM
6th Gear
Default one last thing

After it ran ok yesterday I didnt have time to get the a place to get the codes reset to see if it would come up again. Would that stored codes have any affect?

Anyone know if there is a way to reset the codes?

Old 07-12-2013, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

From page 622 of the shop manual, 722 is torque converter slipping. If you have replaced old fluid with new, and done filter, there is an aftermarket product that may provide some relief. If old fluid was dark when drained (full of clutch particles that show up on a white paper towel) there could be a lot of wear.

Two of my favorite snake oils are Dr. Tranny Instant Shudder Fixx and Lucas Transmission Fix : Lucas Oil= - Lucas Transmission Fix

I'd try Dr. Tranny first, and I have found it quiets tranny whine as well.

If you have new fluid, and these sort of products don't improve things, then tranny shop could be in your future. Any fix from snake oil has a life of unknown duration, the Lucas coaxed my Mitsiubishi along for another 150,000 miles.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

I saw a post somewhere that the torque converter slipping code is actually a speed sensor in the transmission more often than the tranny going bad. It certainly a cheaper thing to try first.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:20 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jafir
I saw a post somewhere that the torque converter slipping code is actually a speed sensor in the transmission more often than the tranny going bad. It certainly a cheaper thing to try first.
Makes sense. Can you tell if the converter is actually slipping? According to Rave, it should lock up at 45 mph. Thoughtful driving might reveal if it is really slipping or not.
And you can clear codes with a ScanGauge, which I have, and an UltraGauge, I believe, but I do not have one of those.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:31 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

A 722 is for an out put speed sensor, no signal, not a slipping TQ.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:54 PM
5th Gear
Default Similar Issue

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
A 722 is for an out put speed sensor, no signal, not a slipping TQ.
I have a Disco II, 145K, 2002.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I've been reading on this problem and others I am having for several days. Wish I would have joined sooner so I could PM folks like Disco Mike (wow man, you're a wealth of information here!!! Thanks!!!).

I have the flashing SM. Broke down out of state right now, but have a friend with a lift letting me use his shop. Only able to move in R. NO forward at all, though after chancing out the tranny filter/fluid, which was dark brown and smelled mildly brown, I got VERY minor forward movement -- for a second. Then, bang back into limp with no limp... just R.

Crazy.

I'm getting this code and found the sensor, but nobody carries it to replace it here. Gonna call a dealer (about 30 min away) to see if they have one.

This all started a week ago in VA. Driving along, towing some steel on a trailer, and the water pump goes. Belt flies off. I replace both in hotel parking lot. Hear hard shift and suddenly can't go forward. Just R.

Buddy on phone tells me to disconnect Bat, turn on key, and then in 10 min reconnect. I do. It SLLLLOOOOWWWWLLLLY starts to go forward in D, then, runs normally again and all seems fine. A week later, I'm running around Philly on the 4th of July, and I feel it not, well, feel right. Stop at a light and nothing. It's all gone again. SM blinking, and R only again.

I've read for two days solid. And I mean, for hours and hours on every forum link I can find. Really could use some solid advice. I'm at a total loss and don't have enough funds in bank to get a new tranny. Hopping it's electrical and there's some way I can limp home a few states awat with an empty trailer and sit her back in the garage. Bad situation to be in. Limited funds, but a bit of time and some tools on my hands.

Thanks in advance. You guys at this forum all rock; I'm so glad I've found it.

Best,

James
Boots on the Ground | Waging Peace one Person at a Time

Old 07-06-2014, 10:08 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

First of all before you screw with your tranny. The M & S Lights and limp mode at start up can and does happen if the voltage from your battery is low at start up.

Thus if you have a bad Battery this can happen.

Or if your battery isn't charging properly, this could happen.

If you leave a inside light on this could happen.

So first things first put a charger on your vehicle to test it. Or drive your vehicle around in limp mode for a few mins. Stop and restart it and if it doesn't come back on. There you go.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:59 AM
5th Gear
Default Batt Okay

Originally Posted by xxdoylexx
First of all before you screw with your tranny. The M & S Lights and limp mode at start up can and does happen if the voltage from your battery is low at start up.

Thus if you have a bad Battery this can happen.

Or if your battery isn't charging properly, this could happen.

If you leave a inside light on this could happen.

So first things first put a charger on your vehicle to test it. Or drive your vehicle around in limp mode for a few mins. Stop and restart it and if it doesn't come back on. There you go.
Thank you. Tested bat. Runs at 12.6v sitting. With alt running, 14v. Alt and bat both tested okay at store.

Disconnected bat all night; neg/pos leads left touching in truck over night too. Reconnected all this morning, still same problem. Goes into R perfectly. Nice and strong. Won't go into D, 1, 2, 3. Seems like it "wants" to, but no dice. Almost right away hits flashing MS.

I can't drive around in limp mode, simply because it won't engage any forward gears at all. uggh.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:27 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 66 Likes on 63 Posts

Hello All,
Sorry to bump this thread but I am having the same exact issue as lvphotovideo, and was wondering if anyone had solved this concern?

T.I.A.

Quick Reply: m, s and d lights flashing with p0722 error