Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M and S flash but gear selection not illuminated.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 09:33 AM
Winching
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

OK, I can still feel the solenoid energize but it is really lethargic (if that makes sense). It used to be immediate then would de-energize right away after i took my foot off the brake. Now it has a 10 second delay before it de-energize. So, I can shift into any gear for 10 seconds after I take my foot off the brake. That doesn't seem normal as I remember.

Old 06-26-2016, 06:27 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoBuckeye
I figured it out. M & S still flashing
Did you adjust cleaned XYZ switch when reinstalled? You mentioned having an issue withe cable and nothing about checking for proper switch adjustment. Even new switches need to be checked for adjustment or S&M may sill be there.

Old 06-26-2016, 08:02 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by number9
Did you adjust cleaned XYZ switch when reinstalled? You mentioned having an issue withe cable and nothing about checking for proper switch adjustment. Even new switches need to be checked for adjustment or S&M may sill be there.
When you say adjust, do you mean back off on the two screws go through the gears then tighten the two?
I took it out again tonight and noticed two of the wires popped out that connect to the contacts. I tried to put them back with a tap from a flat head screw driver. They seemed to sit back in place but I am guessing that is my problem.

Old 06-26-2016, 10:05 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by DiscoBuckeye
When you say adjust, do you mean back off on the two screws go through the gears then tighten the two?
I took it out again tonight and noticed two of the wires popped out that connect to the contacts. I tried to put them back with a tap from a flat head screw driver. They seemed to sit back in place but I am guessing that is my problem.
Switch adjustment is basically just ensuring all shift indications indicate properly. If they don't bolts need to be loosened enough to allow switch rotation through small adjustment range until indications normal. Without LR tool it requires somebody to view indications as switch adjusted and tightened back down. If done solo need to get out from under and check. As I remember yours didn't indicate normal prior to cleaning.

Two broken wires to the connector pins could be original or new problem. May be time for replacement of switch unless you can find a pin extractor and pins or plug with pigtail. Good used switch for 60-85 bucks likely best alternative.

Last edited by number9; 06-26-2016 at 10:33 PM.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:08 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by number9
Switch adjustment is basically just ensuring all shift indications indicate properly. As I remember yours didn't prior to cleaning.

Two broken wires to the connector pins could be original or new problem. May be time for replacement of switch unless you can find a pin extractor and pins or plug with pigtail. Good used switch for 60-85 bucks likely best alternative.
I was thinking it was the original issue as well. Other than that everything in the switch looks really clean.

Old 07-09-2016, 03:23 PM
Winching

I'm at a loss. New to me switch came today. Same exact symptoms. M S flash and no indication of gear in the odometer display or red line at the shifter. I know it was discussed that the ECU wont show the code if its fixed but I am wondering, does the Trans ECU fault need cleared as well?

Old 07-10-2016, 01:23 AM
Pro Wrench

M S flash and no indication of gear in the odometer display or red line at the shifter.
When installing my switch and bolts tightened the shift indications were not correct. Small adj was made, checked again, they were fine and bolts tightened.

If used switch purchased it may be faulty as well. Most used parts come from junked vehicles and I'd like to know how the sellers "test" the x,y,z switches are checked prior to sale.

I know it was discussed that the ECU wont show the code if its fixed but I am wondering, does the Trans ECU fault need cleared as well?
It was discussed recently and replied my ScanGaugeII would show a trans code or pending every time after going into reverse or S&M lights flashed. Easily cleared and no longer in limp mode until next reverse.

Prior to replacing mine codes were cleared, not in limp mode w/o S&M flashing. Doubt that stored code cause of faulty shift indications and S&M flashing. Do you have a good scanner, checked and cleared codes?

Last edited by number9; 07-10-2016 at 01:52 AM.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:28 AM
Winching

Was you M S blinking because it was not aligned?
Could this be a fluid issue? Would it trip so quickly?
I tried to trace the wire loom from the switch connector and it goes up over the transmission and I could not reach it.
This video shows me clearing the code and then it faulting immediately even without my Disco running.

This video shows my exact issue

I guess it could be a bad xyz but with the different kind of fault indicators how likely are they to be exactly the same?
This is frustrating...

Last edited by DiscoBuckeye; 07-10-2016 at 06:31 AM.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:38 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

This is useful

Rebuild D2 ZF Selector Switch UHB100190 - Australian Land Rover Owners

This is the rebuild of the XYZ for the early D2's but the later model has far less complicated internals and is simpler to rebuild, evn I managed it 5 years or so ago, just be careful you mark the exact position before you slacken the bolts as the position is adjustable, LR make a special tool for resetting the position accurately. When replacing the bolts best to use stainless with SS self nyloc nuts. Also extend the A/C drain above and position it so it doesn't drip onto the XYZ switch which does cause some issues. I belive/recollect you need 8mm ID tube about 150mm long. Good luck, hope it works.

PS. make sure the internal tracks are clean and the contacts 'drag' on the fixed tracks OK then load the internals with petroleum jelly lubricant, I used Vaseline.

The following users liked this post:
DiscoBuckeye (07-10-2016)
Old 07-10-2016, 12:03 PM
Winching

Exactly what I followed for the original switch.I just don't get how it can be the exact same fault based on all the different indicators others have shown in other threads.
Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
This is useful

Rebuild D2 ZF Selector Switch UHB100190 - Australian Land Rover Owners

This is the rebuild of the XYZ for the early D2's but the later model has far less complicated internals and is simpler to rebuild, evn I managed it 5 years or so ago, just be careful you mark the exact position before you slacken the bolts as the position is adjustable, LR make a special tool for resetting the position accurately. When replacing the bolts best to use stainless with SS self nyloc nuts. Also extend the A/C drain above and position it so it doesn't drip onto the XYZ switch which does cause some issues. I belive/recollect you need 8mm ID tube about 150mm long. Good luck, hope it works.

PS. make sure the internal tracks are clean and the contacts 'drag' on the fixed tracks OK then load the internals with petroleum jelly lubricant, I used Vaseline.

Quick Reply: M and S flash but gear selection not illuminated.