Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M & S lights flashing,limp mode, need help!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 01:26 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blacktt3z
Clean your xyz switch and put new grease in.
Do you think it will take it out of limp mode? Debating on purchasing a used xyz switch of ebay and installing it.

Old 12-30-2017, 03:01 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

I purchased a used one from eBay and it fixed my S&M/limp issues. Didn't want to have my D2 out of service any longer if switch cleaning didn't resolve problems.

Have you loosened and done any small switch adjustment? Occasionally that will be an easy fix.

If you do get a used one the older one with the natural colored cover is preferred.

Last edited by number9; 12-30-2017 at 06:20 PM.
Old 12-30-2017, 03:20 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by number9
I purchased a used one from eBay and it fixed my S&M/limp issues. Didn't want to have my D2 out of service any longer if switch cleaning didn't resolve problems.

Have you loosened and done any small switch adjustment? Occasionally that will be an easy fix.

If you do get a used one the older one with the metal cover is preferred.
Im not familiar with "small switch adjustment. Please explain. Ive heard the getting someone to spray break cleaner on xyz switch while another person is moving shifter back and firth could help. This true?
This is the xyz (pic) I thought about buying???

Attached Thumbnails M & S lights flashing,limp mode, need help!?!?-img_8581.png  
Old 12-30-2017, 06:19 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Please explain.
The slightly elongated mounting holes allow a small adj. and normally done during install if LR tool not used. Spraying the switch all day long won't do anything with the cover in place. There is a small possibility a one man slight adjustment would prevent having to R&R it.

The black covered one's uses wipers rather than micro switches and not as good for the long term. It was introduce because it's cheaper to mfg. and need replacement more often.

Better switch pictured below.

Versus wipers.

Last edited by number9; 12-30-2017 at 06:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JUKE179r (07-31-2019)
Old 12-30-2017, 06:33 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by number9
The slightly elongated mounting holes allow a small adj. and normally done during install if LR tool not used. Spraying the switch all day long won't do anything with the cover in place. There is a small possibility a one man slight adjustment would prevent having to R&R it.

The black covered one's uses wipers rather than micro switches and not as good for the long term. It was introduce because it's cheaper to mfg. and need replacement more often.

Better switch pictured below.
Thanks for all the information. But I'm not clear on the adjustment? Would like to try adjustment if it is something I could do. I plan to buy used switch and have my mechanic install otherwise.

Versus wipers.

Last edited by DiscoDrew9; 12-30-2017 at 06:35 PM.
Old 12-30-2017, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,662 Posts

Yep my 04 S D2 had an occasional M & S flashing upon startup. Figured it was the battery as it looked gross and so did the terminals. Cleaned it all and went ahead and replaced the battery. Second time I cranked it after all of that M & S flashed on me. I looked underneath to find what looked like a brand new (newer style black XYZ Switch). I removed it, pulled the older style tan one off of my 03 Parts truck & bingo no faults. When I stuck the newer style black one on my parts truck it was a PITA to adjust as it's very sensitive vs the older tan one.

The 04 S D2 has never had the M & S flash again after the swap. I have always liked the older tan ones myself.

Old 12-31-2017, 08:22 AM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoDrew9
Do you think it will take it out of limp mode? Debating on purchasing a used xyz switch of ebay and installing it.
I'm about 90% sure it will take it out of limp mode. I had the same issue, replace a handful of sensors, battery, alternator, maf, 02 sensors and still had m&s lights and limp mode. Popped off my xyz switch which was clean and looked brand new drilled out the rivets, cleaned everything bent the metal connectors back out a little. Bolted it all back together adjusted the linkage and its ran perfect ever since. All for $7 in bolts.

Old 12-31-2017, 09:23 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Blacktt3z
I'm about 90% sure it will take it out of limp mode. I had the same issue, replace a handful of sensors, battery, alternator, maf, 02 sensors and still had m&s lights and limp mode. Popped off my xyz switch which was clean and looked brand new drilled out the rivets, cleaned everything bent the metal connectors back out a little. Bolted it all back together adjusted the linkage and its ran perfect ever since. All for $7 in bolts.
Awesome! Going to remove mine tomorrow and see if I have this kind of success! Thx. Then I can worry about all my other issues!

Old 04-25-2019, 04:47 PM
4wd Low

Did the XYZ Switch work?

Old 05-17-2019, 12:26 PM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoDrew9
Awesome! Going to remove mine tomorrow and see if I have this kind of success! Thx. Then I can worry about all my other issues!
Can you advise us on whether this worked. I am having the same issue.Brian in SATX

Quick Reply: M & S lights flashing,limp mode, need help!?!?