Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M&S Lights on, starting sometimes and will not shift

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 10:15 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M&S Lights on, starting sometimes and will not shift

I have a 2001 SE7. The wife drove it all the way from jacksonville FL to Playa Del Carmen Mexico. It was driving fine before we left to run back to the states for 2 months. Came home to find that someone had backed into something and shattered the Left Bumper Brake light. Ok so that was not to bad except went to start it and the M&S lights are blinking, the "D" with a line trough it sometimes, it only starts occasionally after disconnecting the battery, windows will not roll up, and will not shift without pressing the release button under the shifter.

What I have tried:

I removed the XYZ switch, inspected it and replaced it.

Replaced the Battery

Tightened all the Battery cables, checked grounds etc..

changed out fuses

And now, I am all out of ideas. Can someone help us?? Living in Mexico is nice until you have LR issues!! The closest LR dealer is over 3 hours away. I do not have a code reader and working with limited tools, the XYZ switch kicked me in the pants hard enough so any help would be great!!!!

Old 02-11-2014, 10:42 AM
Three Wheeling

Wiring or connection issues at the rear brake light that was hit may be causing the no shifting issue through not allowing the shifter lock suleniod to release. (car may still think you have a burned brake light)
I don't believe that would have anything to do with the M-S though. Are you getting any fault codes?

Old 02-11-2014, 11:18 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Check the ground cable behind the alternator to make sure it is tight. Also, check the battery cables to make sure they are tight. Last if that doesn't work, Go and get your battery and alternator tested at an auto parts store to make sure they are both good.

Old 02-11-2014, 01:30 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

run a set of jumpers from a clean spot on the frame to the - cable, if it a-is a ground that should correct it. now you need to find the bad ground.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:48 AM
Overlanding

Hey Guys, thanks a bunch on all the things to look at... Here is what I have done so far and results, wait till I tell you what it is doing now!!

1. Battery and Alt both have tested good. Charging at idle 13.60??? Battery is brand new and is good

2. So I got a set of generic tail lights and socket, I jumped them into the pins and got light then it disappeared. No Lights on the bumper at all now.

3. Tried the Ground trick and nothing.

4. I took the XYZ out yet again and re-installed it, nothing not even turning over

so this morning, I re-connect the Pos to the Battery and the damn thing started, only one problem, it is in reverse with no reverse lights or anything.. M & S lights still are on blinking but the drive with a line through it is gone...

I thought there was no way for this to be able to start in the reverse gear? I manually grabbed the spline in the gearbox and ensured it was all the way forward (what it should be in for "park") and the XYZ switch matches that position but it still is in Reverse gear...

Now it does start, engine purrs like normal but no turn signals, no hazzards, rear windows will roll up but the front windows do not. It does have head lights, the vertical tail lights are on and we do have brake lights on the back vertical tail lights but nothing on the rear bumper... Am I chasing ghosts and gremlins or am I just screwed?? LOL!! Help Please!!!

John