Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M&S Still on...

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 08:14 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M&S Still on...

Last week after getting direction from everyone here, my wife flew to Tampa and found an XYZ switch to replace the one that appeared to be giving our 2001 discovery issues. Well, I replaced it yesterday and still the same issues with a couple more added into the mix.....

The switch came with it being in 1st so after careful and coordinated efforts, figured out where park should be and installed it. After, went to try and start the Disco and no crank/no start. M&S blinking; Odometer blinking; no gear indicator lights on the dash or shifter column. Codes are still the same= P0705 and P1668 and a new one that is intermittent, P1590. So I took the switch off made sure I was in park and tried it again and the same. So I took the battery out and put it on a slow charge all day and when I put it back in, it was at 13.9 so I know the battery is solid, just trying to save it!! LOL!!!

So here is the weird part, I woke up this morning and walked out thinking I would try to start it and Walla!!! It started and the engine sounds Great!! P0705 and 1668 still on and there is the "P" on the dash with the blinking odometer and the red indicator light on the shifter, only problem is, it will shift into gear, reverse lights in the back and can hear the tranny shifting but the indicator and dash still shows P and does not change... Oh yea, Still have the blinking M&S lights!!!

Did I do something wrong?? I figured if I changed this switch it would have made some difference and nothing... Any ideas???

Thanks in advance all!!! This one is driving me nuts here in Mexico!!!

Old 03-10-2014, 06:11 PM
8th Gear

madic ive got a 99 disc2 and my m/s light was flashing the other day and I found our problem to be low output voltage from alt.might test alt hope this helps

Old 03-10-2014, 06:22 PM
Drifting
Default Same M & S lights on Dash

I hit a major pot hole in Michigan with my Disco II

everything went dim in my car and the S & M lights came on, D on shifter was flashing red, SUV went into limp mode, super slow to get up to speed.

I ended up replacing my alternator.

Before replacing i got a volt meter and tested the battery.
Car turned off (battery was 12.6V).
Car turned on (battery was 14.5V but started to drop back down to 12.5V).

If your alternator is working good, it should read around 14V

so my alternator was dying slowly. Changing it was simple but long since it was freezing out (-10F) but took me 4 hours and no garage.

Hope this help.

P.S. if it is your alternator, make sure your battery is fully charged before hooking it back up after new alternator installation.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Quinn519
I hit a major pot hole in Michigan with my Disco II

everything went dim in my car and the S & M lights came on, D on shifter was flashing red, SUV went into limp mode, super slow to get up to speed.

I ended up replacing my alternator.

Before replacing i got a volt meter and tested the battery.
Car turned off (battery was 12.6V).
Car turned on (battery was 14.5V but started to drop back down to 12.5V).

If your alternator is working good, it should read around 14V

so my alternator was dying slowly. Changing it was simple but long since it was freezing out (-10F) but took me 4 hours and no garage.

Hope this help.

P.S. if it is your alternator, make sure your battery is fully charged before hooking it back up after new alternator installation.
The potholes are terrible this year - curious as to why hitting one would mess up the M&S? Forgive my naivete but I'm not following the logic. I know that I should get the connection but translation is a little lost on me. Pothole/Alternator/M&S? How does hitting a pothole indicate an alternator problem..

I'm in Traverse City. Where are you?... Can't believe how beautiful it was outside today. I was tempted to take the Rover to the carwash as she's very dirty and could use a good cleaning but we're supposed to get cold temps tomorrow/Wednesday and I didn't want to screw anything up further than it already is (Electrical Gremlins ) It would be just my luck... I hope this nice weather sticks around but it looks like the end of next week before it really begins to cooperate...

Old 03-10-2014, 08:42 PM
Drifting
Default My experience with my S&M

I'm in the Metro Detroit area and the pot holes over here are huge, my land rover can probably drown in one. LOL

I have hit a lot of pot holes with my land rover but for some reason, this one was the big one.

Whatever happened, it affected my alternator, to the point where it would work sometimes and then die on me slowly. Could have been the super cold weather in MI (-20 to -30F with wind chills). Plus i got this rover from FL so it was used to the warm weather for years. It was well kept by my close friend for 8 years, she did not change the alternator when she owned it, did regular maintenace (oil, brakes, tire), so the alternator was over 8 years old.

Well from my experience, if the alternator goes bad, S&M lights come on (there are other reason for S&M lights too). But for me it was a simple alternator swap. I got a remanufactured Bosh from autozone ($200+core).

Now it is running good, I plan on putting up an thread on how to swap your alternator since it was super easy with the right tools and knowledge.

Hope that helps.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Quinn519
I'm in the Metro Detroit area and the pot holes over here are huge, my land rover can probably drown in one. LOL

I have hit a lot of pot holes with my land rover but for some reason, this one was the big one.

Whatever happened, it affected my alternator, to the point where it would work sometimes and then die on me slowly. Could have been the super cold weather in MI (-20 to -30F with wind chills). Plus i got this rover from FL so it was used to the warm weather for years. It was well kept by my close friend for 8 years, she did not change the alternator when she owned it, did regular maintenace (oil, brakes, tire), so the alternator was over 8 years old.

Well from my experience, if the alternator goes bad, S&M lights come on (there are other reason for S&M lights too). But for me it was a simple alternator swap. I got a remanufactured Bosh from autozone ($200+core).

Now it is running good, I plan on putting up an thread on how to swap your alternator since it was super easy with the right tools and knowledge.

Hope that helps.
Huge, eh? I don't think anything can compare to what we have here in TC... seems like my vocabulary expands with every block I drive as of late. Not to mention I'm going to need an alignment because of all my reckless driving (trying to avoid them)

I look forward to reading your post as then I won't have to chase the fix down. I haven't had to replace my alternator yet. I'm probably going to jinx myself and regret saying this but the one I'm dealing with is going on 13 years of age As you can see it's not on my already 'fixed' list. Oh well.. what's a 13 year old alternator - I like to live life on the edge

I heard the southern part of the State is in for a storm later this week - hopefully it isn't too bad... stay safe.

Last edited by KernowDiscovery; 03-10-2014 at 09:44 PM.