Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Magnaflow worth the extra money

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 12:17 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Is Magnaflow worth the extra money

I know I need to replace my muffler. I haven't looked close enough to see if I need to replace from the cats to the back. If I do have to replace it all from the cats back, is the Magnaflow worth it? standard Atlantic British kit is $269 and the Magnaflow kit is $608. If you have an opinion one way or the other, chime in please. Thanks in advance for you help.

Old 03-28-2015, 01:36 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It will net maybe +5hp and make a neater sound (subjective). IMO, unless your cats are on the verge of needing to be replaced as well, probably not worth the extra coin.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:02 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Colorado David
standard Atlantic British kit is $269 and the Magnaflow kit is $608. If you have an opinion one way or the other, chime in please. Thanks in advance for you help.
That is just for the Cat back!

I personally don't think the Magnaflow is worth it unless you are replacing everything. Then you MAY get that +5hp gain. Some say that the hi flow systems won't be worth it unless you also open up the exhaust ports.

I replaced my Y pipe/cats with Magnaflow and really didn't notice much at all. But I did get rid of the annoying rattle coming from my bad cats.

Old 03-28-2015, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,478 Likes on 1,206 Posts

The other thing to consider is that iirc the magnaflow system is stainless.

That being said I'm pretty sure the exhuast is original on my 00 DII and doing fine, so longevity might not be that much improved lol

Old 03-28-2015, 12:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
The other thing to consider is that iirc the magnaflow system is stainless.

That being said I'm pretty sure the exhuast is original on my 00 DII and doing fine, so longevity might not be that much improved lol
Great point, but how much would that be a consideration in Arkansas? Not much salty road conditions there.

Old 03-28-2015, 01:07 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cybercop
Great point, but how much would that be a consideration in Arkansas? Not much salty road conditions there.
I have a 99 that has spent its life in Arkansas and after spending time under it yesterday, I believe the stainless steel would be overkill. Rust is the last issue I've ever had with a vehicle here.

Old 03-28-2015, 01:32 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

Personally, I'd just take it to an exhaust shop and have them weld in whatever muffler you want and replace the pipe if needed. It will still come out about the same as OEM. Same deal with the cats, just buy a couple Magnaflow universals.

Old 03-28-2015, 01:58 PM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by Colorado David
I know I need to replace my muffler. I haven't looked close enough to see if I need to replace from the cats to the back. If I do have to replace it all from the cats back, is the Magnaflow worth it? standard Atlantic British kit is $269 and the Magnaflow kit is $608. If you have an opinion one way or the other, chime in please. Thanks in advance for you help.

If you go with a "Standard" exhaust kit from ANY Rover parts supplier, have them put eyes-on. If the parts are BOSAL (which most standard kits are) just burn your money. The welds are scrap, the flanges are off-center, and the internals rattle like crazy. I wouldn't put a Bosal exhaust on a lawnmower.

Old 03-28-2015, 04:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a magnaflow in place of my stock muffler and had the resonator removed, it's a little more aggressive sounding. $100 installed, same as buying a no name muffler, this is also stainless and has a lifetime warranty.

Old 03-28-2015, 05:38 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

Exhaust shop $225 no rear muffler delete.

Quick Reply: Is Magnaflow worth the extra money