Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

magnecor wires

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 11:07 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default magnecor wires

Why the 8mm wires vs. the available 8.5mm? No noticeable difference and not worth the higher price? Just curious on thoughts about this, looks like for 99-04's you can go 7mm, 8mm or 8.5mm.

Old 10-25-2007, 11:33 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: magnecor wires

8.5 are thicker, harder to manage, and the coil output doesn't go as high as the 8.5 mm can handle. the 8mm are optimal.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:00 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Pretty much said it all, why pay for something that won't benefit you or your truck? The 8mm wires will handle 55,000 volts which is far more then Rovers coils put out.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:23 PM
Rock Crawling

Figured. Already bought the 8mm, just curious.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:33 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Now the fun starts, installing them. Do you have secondary air, an emission control, if so you may want to have a local shop do the install, unless you are mechanically inclined.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:49 PM
Rock Crawling

Somewhat mechanically inclined but time impaired. Doing the rest of the 60k myself a little bit at a time, but the local rover shop quoted me $275 to put them in and I'm fine with that. No way I'm tackling the secondary and manifold removal, too much to tinker with.

Old 10-25-2007, 05:28 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I just installed 8.5 magnicores and Bosh Platinum+4s on my 2003 Disco today.

I choose the 8.5s simply because the Magnicoresite indicated a slightly better heat rating. I do aLOT of towing with my truck.

The 8.5 wires install was not asdifficult as I expected. In fact, I did not pull the intake manifold as typically suggested! Give me a day to articulate the process into words and I'll repost iton this thread. Total time for this wires and sparkplugs project was about 5.5 hours - and I was taking my time.

Magnicore wires are definately worth the installation effort and money. Very noticable improvement.

MWmG

Old 10-26-2007, 12:49 AM
Mudding

I wish I could say the same, but I honestly don't think I can feel a difference. I've got the magnicore wires and the +4's in there and no really noticeable difference....

oh well!

Glad to hear they worked out for ya!! :]

Old 10-26-2007, 07:22 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure I noticed any difference at all either. However, I don't do alot that requires the low-end torque that the bigger plugs and wires are suppose to improve. For me, it's more of peace of mind that I'm sending good hot fire and burning every gram of fuel being sent. I wish I had done a MPG comparison or something, but oh well. Plus, they look cool

Johnnybob, what mileage do you have, and haveyou had any problems with knocking? What about any noise from the tranny/t-case area?

Old 10-26-2007, 12:00 PM
Mudding

What would require low-end torque?

and yes! exactly.. it's the peace of mind that im happy about!

I was getting between 9-12 mpg with the old wires, and now I'm getting between 10-12 mpg... haha.. practically no difference..

I'm not sure if I have a problem with knocking.. I have a diesel-ish/knocking-ish sound at start up, but I have nothing to compare it to, so I don't know if those are normal sounds or not. And with my tranny, so.. I don't believe I have any sounds coming from the tranny... what kind of sounds are you talking about?

also.. at start up, in the mornings, I turn the key, and it sounds like it starting up for a second, but this for like a tenth of a sec it dies and it does just fine right after that tenth of a second.. and i don't stop turning the key.. this all happens in one rep of the key... I'll record it so ya'll can hear what I'm talking about..

Quick Reply: magnecor wires