Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Major differences in repairs between DI vs DII

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 08:06 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major differences in repairs between DI vs DII

What's going on all, been a DI owner before, looking to return to Disco's for a few reasons, wont be off roading primarily this time and considered the DII for the better driveability. The horror stories with the electronics scared me off initially, but after checking out a few DIs here (almost all in bad shape or with problems owners tried to hide), I've reconsidered looking at a DII or two that seem to be in good shape.

Now I know I'll have to get ujoints fitted, and I've gotta worry about the amigos, but besides that, how huge is the difference mechanically between a 99-01? I've learned a lot since grabbing my DI almost two years ago and feel pretty confident under the hood doing everything alone except HG jobs or transmission items, which I have help from a friend. Also, even with the amigos, I realized my ABS was going on my old DI, so I'm wondering if there's any more to it than possibly a faulty ABS system (expensive to fix, but again not exclusive to the DII). I'm familiar with all the changes and all, but I'm just trying to gauge whether finding a good deal on a well maintained 99-00 DII ($2500-$3000) would be worth expanding my options, as right now I'm only considering 94-99 DIs. Luckily I have some time, and forum members have also given me some options if I still am looking in the next month or so, so I'm not rushing to buy one and just checking a lot out, but I figure I should maybe give the DII a chance lol. Thoughts?

Old 04-06-2012, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Both can cost a boat load of money to fix. D2 has more parts and systems, only natural that more problems will follow. I believe I once saw some blurb that there were 640 different things between a D1 and D2. But with a D2 you might have some more life left in it, D1's are all going to be high milers.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:21 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

i love my d2. as for the amigos it can me a multitude of things. might as well invest in an amigo scanner made by rsw solutions. it could be a hub gone bad or a speed sensor or the modulator or just dirt and sand in the brakes.

besides the front drive shaft, i would swap the coolant out to universal peak coolant, i would rebuild the xyz switch (do a search), and check the rotoflex on the rear drive shaft for cracks.

Not sure where you are located but around me $3k for a 99 d2 is pretty high.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:05 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Both can cost a boat load of money to fix. D2 has more parts and systems, only natural that more problems will follow. I believe I once saw some blurb that there were 640 different things between a D1 and D2. But with a D2 you might have some more life left in it, D1's are all going to be high milers.
My thoughts exactly, although either way I know it's likely going to be a while before I come across a good one. And yea, I think its like 720 somewhere on LR's site.

Forgot about the rotoflex, thanks hilltop I can check that for play by hand right? And yea 3k for a DII that needs love is a bit much, definitely not trying to spend that much, but if I can find one with maintenance records, good condition, decent mileage (100k or so), etc. then $2700-$3000 would be great, but it's unlikely. I'm also looking to find the air suspension and ACE just because that seems like an added headache for no reason, but those didn't come on 99-2000 models from what I can tell so I shouldn't have to worry.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Hyakku
My thoughts exactly, although either way I know it's likely going to be a while before I come across a good one. And yea, I think its like 720 somewhere on LR's site.

Forgot about the rotoflex, thanks hilltop I can check that for play by hand right? And yea 3k for a DII that needs love is a bit much, definitely not trying to spend that much, but if I can find one with maintenance records, good condition, decent mileage (100k or so), etc. then $2700-$3000 would be great, but it's unlikely. I'm also looking to find the air suspension and ACE just because that seems like an added headache for no reason, but those didn't come on 99-2000 models from what I can tell so I shouldn't have to worry.
Those years could have come with ACE or SLS or both. My 99 has SLS (because it's a 7 seater), but no ACE. I did the same thing with my 03, and found one with no ACE, SLS, or sun roofs. No sense in adding extra problems, though I hear the ACE is pretty reliable.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:59 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The biggest problems with the DII are the SLS, ACE, crank sensor and throttle body heater.
The ACE is the hardest one to get rid of, you really cannot remove it from the truck but I've heard you can just put the non ACE serpentine belt on and be done with it.
It develops leaks and parts are expensive if not impossible to find.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:14 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

see this for the marketing high points, good demos - Land Rover Discovery 2 Rare Lanuch Sales 4x4 Film 1999 - YouTube

see this for why we drive carefully - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA4zmoqDzVk

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 04-07-2012 at 06:18 AM.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:31 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have ACE on my discovery.... and have neverhad a problem with it in 12 years.... Its been riliable, and works GREAT. Maybe i'm just lucky....

Old 04-07-2012, 05:14 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Some things are in fact more, like hub bearings. Not too many people buy new DII hub bearings when they go bad, the opt for used so they're only $150-250. vs 2@$13 for a D1, which will last "forever" if they are maintained.
On the flips side, DII MAF's are a good deal cheaper.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:28 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I've got both a D2 and a D1, and can attest that the differences run pretty deep. (Ed actually used to own my D1.)

The D1 with a 5-spd is absolutely a blast to drive. If you can find a D1 that isn't rotted out or otherwise whipped, I think it is far more likely to be a vehicle that you could run for a long time.

The D2 has many advantages, (more room, better seats, nicer ride, traction control (if it works), etc...) but what I'm finding is that you should be able to keep a D1 going just about indefinitely as long as the body doesn't rot away...there just isn't much that can't be fixed.

I love my D2, but I can't say the same for it, or that it I think it has any chance of surviving as long as a D1.