Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Major oil and steering fluid leak help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 04:00 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts
Default Major oil and steering fluid leak help.

I have been loosing a lot of steering fluid and oil as well but not sure yet if its transmission oil or motor oil. I can't figure out why the leak is all the way in front near beside the radiator. I checked the steering pump hoses an tubes but can't find a leak. I have a transmission oil cooler (i just found out) but its tucked between the radiators. Here are some pictures so I can point it out. Need help

The left is the front where the radiator is located. Tubes are coming from the bottom of the radiator which I can't see. I tried cleaning them with rug so I can visually see where the leak is coming but can't tell where still. The upper tube with plastic is wet but can't tell since its part plastic and metal. I think its going towards the transmission.

All these parts are wet with oil or steering fluid, I'm guessing. Top of picture is towards the radiator.

This is also somewhere together with the pictures but I can't remember where but wet with oil.

Front driver side when the grill removed. Lower right was all wet with oil.

Left - Engine. The tubes are going towards transmission. No leak around here except that screwed up guy from the oil change who screw the plug incorrectly and leaking from the plug itself. BTW, can that be rethreaded if damaged?

Old 03-30-2016, 05:47 PM
Winching
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Start from the steering reservoir, is it low? Feel underneath for a hose leak and work your way down. May have to degrease from top down and look.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:58 PM
TReK
Received 764 Likes on 632 Posts

You should be able to eliminate it as transmission fluid by the smell. That would leave engine oil or steering fluid as possibilities. Since you're seeing fluid right up at the radiator I'd lean towards a leak related to the oil cooler, since I think the steering hoses are generally lower down and further back than is shown in your pictures. Steering hoses only go from the pump to the steering box and back to the reservoir.