Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making my 03' Discovery look good...

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 07:58 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making my 03' Discovery look good...

Obviously there isn't a guarantee my 03' Disco will remain error free, but for now she's in an awesome spot. We've solved a bunch of issues and she's running great.

I'd now like to add some "flare". I've seen a few other Discos in the area with roof-racks, front/rear brush guards and those nifty ladders on the back. I'd like to start adding a few of these items, but would appreciate some suggestions. Where's a good place to purchase this stuff? How much are these things going to cost? Easy to install?

I've started to search Craig's List in my area for uses brush guards, good idea?

I'd like to go off road at some point. Nothing serious, but just some novice trail running.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by The Cisco Kid; 10-28-2010 at 08:10 AM.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:29 AM
4wd Low

What will you use the roof rack for? Consider the fact that it will drop your fuel economy (not that it's stellar from the get go).

If you want to add steel bumpers you will need to consider upgrading your suspension. I would recommend OME medium or heavy duty 2" lift.

Have you rebuilt the front drive shaft with serviceable U-Joints?

Old 10-28-2010, 08:44 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by beamacvt
What will you use the roof rack for? Consider the fact that it will drop your fuel economy (not that it's stellar from the get go).

If you want to add steel bumpers you will need to consider upgrading your suspension. I would recommend OME medium or heavy duty 2" lift.

Have you rebuilt the front drive shaft with serviceable U-Joints?

Good point. I had considered a lift and larger tires. Perhaps I should do these first before the brush guards.

Old Man Emu good brand? Any suggestion on tires? Forgot what I have on now, but they look small.

The front drive shaft is next on the list. I've been putting it off, which is a bad thing. I hope to have one installed by late November.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:52 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

rear brush guards are really just flare. no one is really backing up down the trails fast enough to take a light out. like hte previous poster said what are you going to use the roof rack for? its a lot of weight that begins to add weight to the top hence you lose stabilty on steep graded terrain.

have you rebuilt the drive shaft with greaseable u joints? if not that is something you need to do right now.

you're best bet is to get a 2 inch lift i reccomend Terrafirma, a new steering damper and some A/T tires (i got mine from treadwright)

AFTER you have fresh springs and shocks than I would say go ahead and add steel bumpers if you like.

if all you really want is flare than disregard what i said and bolt whatever you want on there.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:59 AM
4wd Low

I would get your drive shaft taken care of first... Worry about your suspension after that. OME is a great brand - I have had great success with my OME HD springs and a lot of people you talk to will agree. If you are looking at the possiblity of steel bumpers, a winch or sliders in the future I would go with heavy duty.

Larger tires will too lower your fuel economy, and will noticeably reduce your low end. I don't care so I did it, and haven't looked back. I will eventually go to 4.11 gearing, but not anytime soon. I didn't buy the thing to break land speed records.
Larger (heavier) tires will also put more strain on your CVs, bushings etc.

Just things to think about.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:25 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Might want to check on a couple of the more important issues when talking about an 03.
Have you checked to see if your vin. is on Rovers hit list for a failing oil pump/engine, how about the front drive shaft, has it been rebuilt or replaced yet, if not, that is your most important concern since they do fail and they can take out the tranny at the same time.
All that being said, sounds like you want to go wheeling with this truck, are you aware that you don't have a CDL t/case and as such are a little limited on traction?

Old 10-28-2010, 11:36 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Might want to check on a couple of the more important issues when talking about an 03.
Have you checked to see if your vin. is on Rovers hit list for a failing oil pump/engine, how about the front drive shaft, has it been rebuilt or replaced yet, if not, that is your most important concern since they do fail and they can take out the tranny at the same time.
All that being said, sounds like you want to go wheeling with this truck, are you aware that you don't have a CDL t/case and as such are a little limited on traction?
Yes, I'd like to do some wheeling with this truck. I read about the CDL t/case and was hoping to have a friend help with a locking differential at some point (did I say that right?). I've read a few posts on folks who've done this and it seems way above me.

I'm out of the VIN range, checked before the purchase.

Working on replacing the driveshaft soon. It's number one on the list right now. I've just been putting it off longer than I should.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:35 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cisco Kid
Yes, I'd like to do some wheeling with this truck. I read about the CDL t/case and was hoping to have a friend help with a locking differential at some point (did I say that right?). I've read a few posts on folks who've done this and it seems way above me.

I'm out of the VIN range, checked before the purchase.

Working on replacing the driveshaft soon. It's number one on the list right now. I've just been putting it off longer than I should.
- Listen to Mike.
- Also, the locking diffs aren't much use without a locking t/case. Have your friend help you swap out the '03 t/case before you blow the $$$ on locking diffs. It looks like one of the parts guys has them over on one of the other forums for $100+shipping here: http://www.discoweb.org/forums/showthread.php?t=70773