Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making your own Roof Rack

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2021, 01:06 AM
Drifting
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Making your own Roof Rack

I've been reading this DIY Roof Rack thread and reading through the instructions that were posted. I like this particular rack because it seems like a design that a DIYer could do, and I also like the flat design better than the ones that follow the contour of the roofline. Seems like a pretty fun project, even though I've never welded anything before. I'm relatively handy, so I'm sure I could learn some basic welding techniques.

I'm interested in knowing if anyone has used the plans from that thread to build the rack, because I have questions. Where did you buy your materials from? What did you use to cut the steel tubing? I found the license plate brackets the OP used to make the gutter brackets here, but would be interested if you used something else. What did you use for flooring? Any other tips you would recommend that helped when you built yours?

I'm new to welding so I would probably buy the cheap flux welder from Harbor Freight. Seems like it would do the job?

Thanks in advance,

Sean.

Old 01-25-2021, 10:34 AM
Received 1,148 Likes on 794 Posts

We have a place called Metal Supermarkets up here in Canada, if I was going this route I would order from them. They will cut to length so I would supply the parts list and pick it up.

I would imagine you have something similar

Old 01-25-2021, 11:54 AM
TReK
Received 768 Likes on 636 Posts

A structure that is going to support weight and that requires solid welds for its integrity isn't the place to start to learn to weld. That said, the welding required for this isn't technically difficult, so it wouldn't take long to come up to speed. Yes, the Harbor Freight wire one will work fine -- it's what I have since stick welders seem to be a thing of the past. Regular hacksaw, angle grinder with a cutoff wheel, or even a radial arm saw/chop saw with a metal blade will work fine for cutting the pieces. You should be able to source material from any metal fabricator in your area.
I had been heading towards making my own rack following the design in that thread, for much the same reasons that you give (flat bottom most of all) but then I found a custom one for sale on eBay quite close to me for very cheap.

The following users liked this post:
mr. choodles (01-25-2021)