Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Marvel Mystery Oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 09:01 AM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Marvel Mystery Oil

I would like to know if anyone uses Marvel Mystery Oil in their truck. I have heard great things about it but have never tried it.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:36 AM
Winching
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I put a little in the gas of all my vehicles in the summer when it's really hot for an upper cylinder lube. I've never thought it was necessary in the oil.

Old 11-13-2014, 04:40 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put some in my oil last winter and it quieted the valve train right up. This last oil change I did not put any in, and my valve train is back to it's noisy self. So, it seems to work, but I'm not a huge fan of additives as it can change the viscosity of the oil to be out of the acceptable range. My oil test with Blackstone Labs showed a higher level of wear indication than I would have liked with the Marvel in, therefore I left it out at the last oil change. I don't know if the Marvel had anything to do with it, or if it was just coincidence. We'll see when I get my next oil change results back from the Lab.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:30 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by buick215
I would like to know if anyone uses Marvel Mystery Oil in their truck. I have heard great things about it but have never tried it.
Every oil change we use a bottle. I swear by it for the cleaning and quieting the lifters.

149K 2003 Discovery

Old 11-13-2014, 10:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

i have experimented with it in both the oil and fuel and have only good things to say about it. I have seen it make a noticeable difference in the way a vehicle runs. I consider it a detergent/solvent as opposed to a super lubricant like engine Prolong, of which I have also seen positive proof of its efficacy.

For the record, I've tried a few other oil and fuel additives, and none have had any noticeable effect.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:33 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Not to redirect the thread, but how about BG Products 44K? Is anyone using that in their fuel? Compare to Marvel Mystery Oil?

Old 11-14-2014, 08:23 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts
Default mmo

I put 8oz about 150 miles before my last oil change. I think it helped. I am not sure how it would be a good idea to run it full time. If it were cleaning the engine it would also be breaking down the oil at the same time. Destroying the lubrication properties of the oil

I use sea foam in my gas tank fairly regularly, seems to make a difference. I run 93 octane 90% of the time.

I have heard of people running a quart of transmission fluid in the engine before an oil change as well.

Everyone has their own opinion on things, i think for the most part a fluid will not destroy an engine. Unless for maybe water. Have you seen the video of guys pouring water in their intake to steam clean the engine? That is ballsy.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:15 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Colorado David
Not to redirect the thread, but how about BG Products 44K? Is anyone using that in their fuel? Compare to Marvel Mystery Oil?
Haven't used that but I do add a can of BG MOA oil additive when I do an oil change. It really helped quite down any clicks or knocks I was hearing. We have a big independent LR shop here in Houston that really pushes the products so I just tried the MOA and liked it. BG products are normally only available through licensed dealers who resell them when you get service with them. I get my supply on Ebay.

As for fuel about 2 times a year I drop a can of Seafoam into my fuel tank to clean things up. Some folks claim Berryman is the same stuff and cheaper.

Old 11-15-2014, 12:39 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use MMO two or three times a year, usually with oil changes-- 24oz or so in the oil, and a good 8-16 oz in the fuel. I've used this on all my vehicles since I've known about it, every other oil change, the past 6-8 years.

I have a 1985 Ford F-250 with a big block, and I use MMO in the wintertime to thin out the 15W-40 oil I use (diesel oil used due to solid lifters, much like our Land Rovers.) It definitely helps there.

On the LR, I use 5w-40 in the wintertime, so I can't really tell the difference from when I've used MMO or not.

I can't say with any certainty that MMO has helped on *any* of my vehicles, but I figure it can't hurt. FWIW, I used to do Blackstone oil analysis on my cars, and the MMO didn't affect wear metals more than a couple % below/above what was baseline. In fact, it didn't seem to add (in any appreciable amounts) any element (wear or additive) tested by Blackstone.

Last edited by QuakerJ; 11-15-2014 at 12:44 AM.