Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mass Air Flow Problem....again!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 06:18 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mass Air Flow Problem....again!!!!

I have had the MAF go out on my truck before. I had the MAF error, O2 sensor error, and transmission error. Last time I replaced it with a Bosch Sensor from England that matched the serial numbers for the OEM but after this one I went with on from the LR dealership, and I am sure I paid too much for it.

My problem is that after replacing the sensor and clearing the codes I am still getting a code for the MAF. Additionally I have noticed that the RPMs are reeving to up 2500rpm when is is started from cold and it is sluggish at lower speeds. I looked under the hood and noticed a little oil on top of the driver side valve cover by the breather hose. I figured it was just the hose leaking some but checked the clamps and the look good.

I have recently replaced the O2 sensors, Heads, Wires, Coil Pack, radiator, oil pump, oil gaskets, rear main seal, transmission seals (front and Back), tranny pan seals, all fluids and now the MAF again. Any Ideas what my problem is?

Question #2

I have noticed a large amount of dust inside the tube where the MAF is located. I assume this is bypassing the filter. Has anyone looked at changing the filter housing to a cone style? I know you have to use paper but I was thinking it might help extend the life of the MAF if it only gets clean air.

Thanks,

Dean

1999 Disco II
169K Miles

Old 11-21-2010, 06:23 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Your MAF is getting dirty, you have a air leak somewhere.
Are all of the clamps on your air box locked in place?

Old 11-21-2010, 06:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I use a Cone filter on my 2003 for over a year now. It adds more airflow to the engine after removing the airbox. I've had no troubles from the MAF and its the original with 93k on my Rover. I have a backup MAF sitting on my spart parts shelf to swap in to help dianose a bad idle when it rears its ugly head someday.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:55 AM
Mudding

Are you you are using a K&N style oiled filter? My suggestion would be to clean the crap out of the MAF with electrical contact cleaner. Once this is done, reset the codes and see if that has resolved the issue.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:59 AM
Three Wheeling

I am completely stock. All of my clamps are on and tight. I have noticed that the filter tends to dip in the front after a thousand miles or so. I was thinking this might be the cause.

The MAF I have is a brand new LR MAF. After about fourty miles the check engine light came back on but only for the MF not the transission or O2 sensor.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I would not clean that MAF!...On Discovery's they die right after cleaning. I would try another brand of flat air filter. Maybe WIX....I would stay away from FRAM. Check to be sure its well seated in the air box tray. I remember it being difficult to get is all situated with the air intake pipe.
Here is my setup. I'm not saying go this route till you get your problem figured out. But my rover likes more air and its been installed over 1.5 years now.

Attached Thumbnails Mass Air Flow Problem....again!!!!-dsc09501.jpg   Mass Air Flow Problem....again!!!!-dsc09503.jpg  
Old 11-22-2010, 12:49 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by bosshogt
I would not clean that MAF!...On Discovery's they die right after cleaning. I would try another brand of flat air filter. Maybe WIX....I would stay away from FRAM. Check to be sure its well seated in the air box tray. I remember it being difficult to get is all situated with the air intake pipe.
Here is my setup. I'm not saying go this route till you get your problem figured out. But my rover likes more air and its been installed over 1.5 years now.

Not true. Mine was throwing codes 20K ago. I cleaned it and it has been good ever since. The key is to use the right stuff and make sure it is dry before re-installation. I used CRC Electrical Contact Cleaner - see below...

Besides, if the MAF is bad, what harm can it do to clean it. Worse case scenario you are out the $6 for the can of cleaner.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:53 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Start with buying a "FACTORY" paper air filter that fits better then most after market filters, wipe out your air box and if there is dust inside the MAF tunnel, blow it out with dry air and reinstall.
Let us know how it goes.

Old 12-16-2010, 03:33 AM
Mudding
Default Air Cleaner Inlet Duct or Hose or Tube ??? I just don't know.

I am going to ask this questions here since you guys are talking about intake/air filters and such and I have searched and can't find the part anywhere and I don't know the name of it. There is this "duct" at the inlet to the air cleaner. Its in-between the cold air inlet "elbow" that's attached to the left fender and the "elbow" entrance to the element/filter canister" I would liken the material to that of the heat riser "duct" on the old Ford engines of the late sixties thru eighties or heater/air conditioner "duct" or the heat "tubes" on the old air cooled VW's . Its only.... oh. ... about 4-6 inches long and what I would call a rectangular/oval or oblong shape to it. I have been on many Land Rover part sites and cannot find it. There was one site where I found a diagram of the intake system that actual showed the part but it did not have a line leading to a circled number part legion. Mine is disintegrating and I am afraid moisture may be introduced. Anyone know the name/part number of this duct/hose/tube and where I can buy one? (not the dealership; please) Thank you.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:31 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001SE7
I am going to ask this questions here since you guys are talking about intake/air filters and such and I have searched and can't find the part anywhere and I don't know the name of it. There is this "duct" at the inlet to the air cleaner. Its in-between the cold air inlet "elbow" that's attached to the left fender and the "elbow" entrance to the element/filter canister" I would liken the material to that of the heat riser "duct" on the old Ford engines of the late sixties thru eighties or heater/air conditioner "duct" or the heat "tubes" on the old air cooled VW's . Its only.... oh. ... about 4-6 inches long and what I would call a rectangular/oval or oblong shape to it. I have been on many Land Rover part sites and cannot find it. There was one site where I found a diagram of the intake system that actual showed the part but it did not have a line leading to a circled number part legion. Mine is disintegrating and I am afraid moisture may be introduced. Anyone know the name/part number of this duct/hose/tube and where I can buy one? (not the dealership; please) Thank you.
call will tillery at www.roverguy.com and get yourself a used one in better shape.