Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mass Air Flow Sensor $200?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 10:33 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mass Air Flow Sensor $200?

I had my 01 disco looked at today by a landrover tech who works out of his home on the weekends. My check engine light had several codes that told him it was the mass airflow sensor. (Can codes tell you for sure it needs to be replaced?) He told me he could get the part new from his dealership for 200$ and install it for another $100. I am not a wrench at all so I am not up to the task of doing it myself. Should I be looking elsewhere to get the part cheaper? And the labor rate, does it seem high? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I will speak with him again this week.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:52 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First off, find out what the exact codes were...for example: P0134
Then, if it does appear that your MAF is bad, you can get an OEM MAF from BP of Utah for $145. $200 isn't horrible for an original Rover MAF, but not great either. However, the $100 for him to take 5 minutes and install is STEEP.
Trust me, you ARE up for it. This is no task for a "wrench" only, you can do it for the first time in under 30 minutes, and that includes time for a beer or two.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:47 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DiscoIIBrandon
First off, find out what the exact codes were...for example: P0134
Then, if it does appear that your MAF is bad, you can get an OEM MAF from BP of Utah for $145. $200 isn't horrible for an original Rover MAF, but not great either. However, the $100 for him to take 5 minutes and install is STEEP.
Trust me, you ARE up for it. This is no task for a "wrench" only, you can do it for the first time in under 30 minutes, and that includes time for a beer or two.
DiscoIIBrandon is right on...X2

Old 03-01-2011, 05:12 AM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

x3: this is dead easy to do. Unplug one cable, release 2 wire clamps and remove 1 hose clamp. It is a 5 minute job, heck 10 minutes if you take it real slow.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:44 AM
Three Wheeling

Thanks guys.

Could you send me the link to the exact MAF I would want from BP of Utah?

He said the reason for the 100$ installation is that he needs to drive it for a certain period of time, at different (gear ratios or speeds?) ....in order to reset the codes so they clear the memory. Im totally paraphrasing here but it had something to do with me going to get it inspected after installation (i have a rejection sticker at the moment) He said he can reset the check engine light to go off, but the inspection station would still get reads if this certain process wasn't completed? bogus or true?

here are the codes....
0171 0734 1171 1884 0174 1174

Old 03-01-2011, 08:29 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by seamuspg
Thanks guys.

Could you send me the link to the exact MAF I would want from BP of Utah?

He said the reason for the 100$ installation is that he needs to drive it for a certain period of time, at different (gear ratios or speeds?) ....in order to reset the codes so they clear the memory. Im totally paraphrasing here but it had something to do with me going to get it inspected after installation (i have a rejection sticker at the moment) He said he can reset the check engine light to go off, but the inspection station would still get reads if this certain process wasn't completed? bogus or true?

here are the codes....
0171 0734 1171 1884 0174 1174
http://www.bputah.com/
if the link doesn't work, its bputah.com
On the left side of the page there is the Land Rover Parts section, click in DiscoveryII (99-04) and in the second line of parts listed you will see the mass airflow sensor, or you can just call them and they will send the right one.

Emissions testing - foreign for me in FL, we don't do this. But I believe he's talking about completing a drive cycle once the codes are gone. Someone else can help you here.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:33 AM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by seamuspg
He said the reason for the 100$ installation is that he needs to drive it for a certain period of time, at different (gear ratios or speeds?) ....in order to reset the codes so they clear the memory.
Bah... get a $40 ODBII scanner and reset the codes yourself. The scanner will be handy to keep.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:36 AM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Replace it yourself, have the codes reset, and then take the truck for a nice long drive making several stops along the way. He's talking about populating all the data that the inspection station reads...if there isn't any data then they won't pass it because they know it has just been reset. Taking the truck for a drive should take care of this. (From experience, I'd try to do 50 miles or more and mix in a bunch of stops. (i.e.- Go shopping at multiple stores, then take a ride.))

Old 03-01-2011, 08:37 AM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bundu
Bah... get a $40 ODBII scanner and reset the codes yourself. The scanner will be handy to keep.
+1 It will be money well spent.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:34 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Bundu
X3 on that.

Or, if you've got an iPhone or an Android get a Bluetooth ELM327 OBD scanner from Amazon for just a little bit more (<$50 shipped). Then get the appropriate app for reading and clearing OBD codes. I don't want to sound like I'm shilling for one particular app but the one I have also shows you pending faults and status of the drive cycle so you can be certain that there is a full drive cycle prior to taking it in for emissions testing.

Quick Reply: Mass Air Flow Sensor $200?