Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Matte black hood vinyl overlay

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 04:29 AM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[quote=Don Nguyen;254891]My friend got this idea from seeing other rovers online with this done, so he asked me to see if I could do it on his truck. I decided to give it a shot, and see how hard it'd be to do. This is the only picture I took of it, and it was kind of dark. However, I am just curious if it was worth making a template of this and make duplicates.

If you can make duplicates cheaper and with the same material and quality I'd definitely be interested! Also, I personally think it would look good running the same width across the roof. Not practical, but just for asthetics.

Any thoughts on how this would affect the average temp inside the truck and engine bay?

Old 07-01-2011, 05:49 AM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would be nice if these could be made from that same cling vinyl that they make the auto wraps from. That way it doesn't mess with the paint and you can just peel it back off if you don't want it anymore, or replace it.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:59 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Did you say a 'Dexcool' vehicle?

That's funny how this is a typical subject w/subjective views. Ironic that I just replaced my Dexcool w/Dexcool even w/the horror stories and pictures. I still am going to go green as I am skeptical of a Land Rover versus a newer design in the Liberty. I just caught your bottom shield of the Liberty.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:21 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by Zonk872
That's funny how this is a typical subject w/subjective views. Ironic that I just replaced my Dexcool w/Dexcool even w/the horror stories and pictures. I still am going to go green as I am skeptical of a Land Rover versus a newer design in the Liberty. I just caught your bottom shield of the Liberty.
Yeah, and it was the wife's truck no less. I did it's first coolant change at 200k!!! lol, was still going strong. My truck just rolled over to 128K but I change it on schedule, even did the hose refresh. The hoses looked worse on the outside. Insides looked brand new. Those horror story pictures are not dexcool's fault alone. My guess is fuel/oil contaminated.

Ok, back to our regularly scheduled program

Old 07-01-2011, 08:59 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

IMO a decal only really makes sense if you're not going to have it on for very long. Otherwise just paint it. Having the decal on for a long time will allow the uncovered paint to sun fade and then you'll see the difference when you remove the decal, so you might as well paint the blackout to start with and save the money.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:06 PM
5th Gear

You're correct. To some, vinyl will make more sense, while to others they'll want to paint it. If someone was really inclined to, they could wrap the whole hood, instead of just that raised portion. Never knew why people didn't just do that, since it'd seem like it'd function better.

-Don

Old 07-02-2011, 12:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don...it is still a good option for individuals that want it removable, so dont give up offering it.

Old 07-02-2011, 12:25 PM
5th Gear

My friend sold his Discovery before I got around to making a template of it, so I need another test car. If anyone is around in the Socal/OC area and would be interested, let me know

Old 07-25-2011, 09:17 PM
Drifting

Don,

You should know that the reason the one in the link looks "faded" is because it is extremely flat black. The material is designed to not reflect any light. Everyone does this now for looks, but the reason they are put on these off road vehicles is because it eliminates/reduces the glare off the hood from overhead lights on a safari rack for example.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:21 PM
5th Gear

I did not base it on the fact that is a a flat finish, which I understand and know the differences, but more on the fact that it has uneven and how inconsistent the sheen is across the material. Not sure if you're able to see the same thing I am seeing.

Quick Reply: Matte black hood vinyl overlay