Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Max Tire Size and Front Axle Lock

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 07:13 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by post42
If the locking mechanism is malfunctioning, how does one check or repair that? Has anyone ever heard of one of these mechanisms failing? How is that repaired?
There is no locking mechanism. You can choose to buy a locking differential for the vehicle, they range from $500-1100.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Max size is 265/60/18. I have run that on both of mine. Zero rubbing. Stock suspensions. One truck was regular with ACE, the other is air suspension, no ace.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:19 PM
Winching
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
There is no locking mechanism. You can choose to buy a locking differential for the vehicle, they range from $500-1100.
Is it possible the previous owner installed a tcase with a cdl lock? I can't think of any other reason why his front tires are slipping while turning. That's exactly what mine does when the cdl is locked and I'm on pavement *was just testing it out.

You might want to get under the truck and look on top of the transfer case, top right of the front drive shaft when looking towards the rear of truck, and look for this connection:

Name:  photo-41a_zps2e4747a7.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  121.7 KB

If it's there, turn it counter clockwise to disengage the cdl lock.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:24 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Snafu / Disco Fries
Max size is 265/60/18. I have run that on both of mine. Zero rubbing. Stock suspensions. One truck was regular with ACE, the other is air suspension, no ace.
Thanks for the size snafu

Old 09-04-2013, 09:28 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by caymandrew
Is it possible the previous owner installed a tcase with a cdl lock? I can't think of any other reason why his front tires are slipping while turning. That's exactly what mine does when the cdl is locked and I'm on pavement *was just testing it out.

You might want to get under the truck and look on top of the transfer case, top right of the front drive shaft when looking towards the rear of truck, and look for this connection:

That threaded piece?
Thanks for the detailed picture.
I'm in Freeport, nice to hear from a fellow Emerald Coaster!

Old 09-04-2013, 10:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Here are mine. Stock 255/55 on the black, 265/60 on the red. Makes a decent difference and gave a bit of a lift.

Last edited by Snafu / Disco Fries; 09-04-2013 at 10:49 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:49 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandrew

I was just referring to the axles both being unlocked. It is possible he has a CDL installed if someone else did it on his truck.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:56 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are mine. Stock 255/55 on the black, 265/60 on the red. Makes a decent difference and gave a bit of a lift.
Those are 2 beautiful vehicles, especially the red w/tinted windows. I'm not sure that I've ever seen that color red on the road. Very nice.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:59 AM
Mudding

We just bought the same size and X2 for the this quote.

Old 09-05-2013, 04:38 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

It's possible the PO had installed a locker in the front. Jack up one front wheel and try to turn it by hand. If you can you don't have a locker in the front and the center diff isn't locked.
That would mean your chirping is coming from something else.
Put the front end on jack stands and turn the wheels fully right and left and check for rubbing on anything.

Quick Reply: Max Tire Size and Front Axle Lock