Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mechanic quote for brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 10:20 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mechanic quote for brakes?

Hi,

I have a 2003 Disc SE7 with about 96K. I'm hearing a grinding noise when I brake, so I think it's definitely time for new brakes.

I've called my independent mechanic that I've been to a couple of times, once for a radiator flush. He said on the phone that if I have to replace front and rear pads and rotors, it would cost between $600-$700. Does that seem reasonable?

I don't have the time or tools or honestly experience to attempt doing this myself, so I definitely plan on taking it to a mechanic. If this quote seems way out of line, could anyone recommend a good mechanic on the South Shore of Boston? I live in Plymouth, MA.

Thank you!

Old 08-04-2011, 10:43 AM
Winching
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like he's high to me.

Is this guy an independent ROVER mechanic, or just a general auto service shop who is willing to work on your Rover? It make a difference.

As for the cost, like I said, it sounds high to me. The parts to do both the rotors and pads can be obtained from Atlantic British for as little as $299. (For example, Discovery II Brake Rebuild Kits: Order Land Rover Brake Kits Online At Atlantic British) Even that price ($299) is pretty expensive.

I'd be shocked if you couldn't do better at a local parts store...I've been able to get decent rotors for a lot less than the prices listed at AB at Advanced Auto Parts. (If you and can get these parts for $299, he is certainly paying less than that.)

Cost of the parts aside, is this guy going to plan to bleed the brake lines when he's finished? If so, does he have the correct computer to bleed the ABS modulator too? (Just playing devils advocate here...If he has this equipment and is planning to include using it to bleed your brakes when he's done, then that may explain at least part of the high cost of the brake job.)

If he isn't prepared to properly bleed the brakes (including the ABS modulator), then I'd shop around for another mechanic before giving this guy $600 - 700 to do what shouldn't be more than a couple hours work.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:22 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

What does this guy think he work, at a dealership?

Miss, (assuming your screen-name is due to the fact that you are of the female species of human) please shop around. Even better yet, have a Male figure call around for a quote for you. An please do not return to that mechanic. It may sound sexist but the chances of being overcharged when a male figure calls asking automotive related questions drops drastically. Not even trying to be funny but thas how the business goes. If you want to drive to Jersey, you get the parts and i'll do them on a saturday afternoon for $100 and a case of Sam Adams Summer Ale(Mrs loves those). Brakes is one of those real easy things to do, but one of the most overcharged items everyone pays for.
If you wanna check out a good deal thats ongoing, Midas has a deal where you buy brakes once and never pay for replacements as long as you own your vehicle. Check it out. Its on there website. My brother in law just did it for his jeep (He's not mechanically inclined at all)
Good luck and godspeed

Old 08-04-2011, 12:31 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man that's way to high! Is that just labor??? (IF SO I NEED TO DO SOME ROVER BREAK REPAIRS) You shouldn't have to replace rotors unless your break calipers have ate down into them, OR they are warped. I used original break pads for my D I from atlantic british for 100 front and 100 rear with new hardware. I didn't replace my rotors.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:03 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

I live a in whitman ma. about 20 miles north, last weekend I replaced my front & rear brake pads, front and rear rotors, replace the brake lines with stainless steel, flushed all the old fluid out for less than that. Drop me a line I'm sure i could help you out.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:31 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

$600-$700 at a shop using PREMIUM pads and rotors like Akebono's, with a brake bleed sounds reasonable to me.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Sounds high to me, based on my work under the shade tree and what I pay for my shop vehicles at a local indy shop. Maybe a combination of the "let's take advantage of this lady" system and the price multiplier factor based on vehicle MSRP. Depending on "damage" you may just be hearing the brake warning noise when pads wear down, and have not really eaten up the rotors - yet. But you will if you keep driving it.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:50 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dealer charges around $1000 for all four pads and rotors, that of course is way high. It is hard to know if the $600 price that your mechanic is quoting you is high or not without knowing what brand of pads and rotors he is using. If he is using akebono pads and high end rotors you could be looking at $300-$400 just in parts. If they are low end than $200-$250 in parts.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:32 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

1.8 hours labour for front pad and rotor installation on all LR vehicles per axle.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:07 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Take it to your local muffler/brake shop.
These brakes ain't nothing special.

Quick Reply: Mechanic quote for brakes?