Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MIlKY OIL????? Scared in PA! HELP

Old 03-27-2011, 07:15 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy MIlKY OIL????? Scared in PA! HELP

So I bought a 2001 DII with 117k miles in December. Did the 3 amigos and the car ran fine. Then it started loosing some anifreeze but i saw no visable leak so it didnt bother me because it wasnt loosing much and not over heating. Drove it this was for almost 2k. Last week my son drove it and told me that the car had no coolant so i told him to top it off still no overheating issue. One the way home it started to overheat he stopped a few times and added more antfreeze and drove home about 6 miles. Car never smoked or overheated. Once home i checked the car pulled the dip stick and its milky oil?? Spoke to a local LR mechanic and he said it could be a HG or i may need a new engine. They pick up the car on monday..............any thoughts? I have over 5500k in the car and a new engine just doesnt seem worth it................

Old 03-27-2011, 07:46 AM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Always be concerned with coolant loss, especially if you cannot find the leak.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:01 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Do not start the engine again until you replace your head gaskets and replace your tainted engine oil. Sounds like a typical failed head gasket case. But...who knows. That's where I would start. If you're mechanically inclined search the forums for the DIY head basket repair. Ask us questions "when" you come across them. Good luck!

Old 03-27-2011, 09:06 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hopefully not a new engine, but a head gasket job for sure. Get some quotes and see what happens.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:16 AM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I hope you're not going to the dealer because they will tell you that you need a new engine. Hopefully, it's just a head gasket or warped head and not a dropped liner. And with coolant in the crank, I hope no damage was done to the main bearings. Whoever does the HG, make sure the oil pan is dropped and all that crap is removed. It can plug up your oil pump.

Eric

Old 03-27-2011, 10:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey heres one I can actually help answer finally. My head gaskets went bad only a few months after I purchased the truck unfortunately the symptoms didn't click with me for a while and the heads actually warped and I needed them to be machined....that part was not a DIY. Not sure how much it would cost separately from the gasket replacement as mine were done through the dealer I bought it from, under warranty. It is something you might want checked because it sounds like you have been driving with this problem for a while. Good luck and I hope the fix is nice and cheap.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:26 PM
Rock Crawling

Where in PA are you? I no some good indie shops that won't *** rape you like the dealer.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default What are the odds?

New member, just purchased 2001 with 95k miles and looks to be well maintained. Carfax shows first owner / first 58k miles were dealer serviced. Less assurance with second owner. I've done most recommended fluid changes etc. upon purchasing truck. Are these trucks really that predisposed to blow head gaskets, etc.?

Also, I am getting an education on the "three amigos" deal, but still don't fully understand the connection or significance of this issue. I'll keep researching the forums, but if anyone can give a quick rundown on this, it will be appreciated.

DRW

Old 03-30-2011, 08:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Was the engine running ok or did it sound like crap?

Old 03-30-2011, 08:23 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by DonRW2007

Also, I am getting an education on the "three amigos" deal, but still don't fully understand the connection or significance of this issue. I'll keep researching the forums, but if anyone can give a quick rundown on this, it will be appreciated.

DRW
Answer for the three amigos is really quite simple. It's usually a wheel speed sensor. Since Traction control, ABS, and hill decent all need wheel speed input to function correctly, when a sensor goes bad or malfunctions it sets off all three warning lights.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MIlKY OIL????? Scared in PA! HELP