Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Misfire?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 04:17 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misfire?

Hey new to the site.

Well i own a trans am and im here for my brother in-law. He has a Discovery Series 2 with 85k Mi. on it. He infomred me that when he hits the gas the rover hesitates. The rover doesnt do that when he lets it coast. He took it to autozone to get the pcm scanned and they told him that a few cylinders where misfiring, Cylinders 3 and 5 i believe. They also told him that it could be the plugs, wires or the ignition coil. Can any of those three cause the cylinders to misfire? i appriciate any info i can get.

thanks in advance.

EDIT: Its a 1999

Old 05-17-2006, 07:03 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: Misfire?

Have him get in touch directly with this site or me so we can get real specific about his issues.
Has he had the 60K service done yet, including the plugs?
What octane gas is he running? At his mileage he does need plug wires and should only consider Magnacor 8mm wires as a replacement, check out this web site.
http://www.roverconnection.com/ They have the best price on the wires, he should also consider Bosh Platium Plus 4 plugs instead of factory Champions. The combination will give him alot more low end punch.
Get back to us.
Mike

Old 05-17-2006, 07:38 PM
8th Gear

I have not done the 60k service yet. I have ordered the wires and the ignition coil along with the Platinum 4 plugs. The check egine light is on and it hesitates when I step on the gas. It also vibrates when it Idles.

Old 05-17-2006, 08:10 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: ta981

I have not done the 60k service yet. I have ordered the wires and the ignition coil along with the Platinum 4 plugs. The check egine light is on and it hesitates when I step on the gas. It also vibrates when it Idles.
I would hold on the coil pack, they are very expensive and will probably not be needed. Whar are the exact codes?
Do the plugs and wires, which are hard , but duable to do, then we need to talk about cleaning out the engine of carbon that has probably been building us which will cause misfires.
How about the gas, what octane is he using?
Mike

Old 05-17-2006, 08:59 PM
8th Gear

I don't know the codes but I think they are NGB or something like that they are high end though gas I know he sometimes uses mid grade & Premium he mixes it up. you don't think we should do the coils they are orderd already? Would it add alot of time to our project? can you suggest any time saving tips when we do the plug wires and or the coils. How would you clean up the carbon you mentioned. Thank you so much .........

Old 05-17-2006, 11:58 PM
Administrator

I don't know the codes but I think they are NGB or something like that they are high end though gas I know he sometimes uses mid grade & Premium he mixes it up. you don't think we should do the coils they are orderd already? Would it add alot of time to our project? can you suggest any time saving tips when we do the plug wires and or the coils. How would you clean up the carbon you mentioned. Thank you so much .........
Don't mix fuel octanes, it confuses the hell out of the ECU, stay with supreme unless you just have to step down for an emergency.
The coil packs are around $600 and will probably not be needed.
There are 2 ways to install the plug wires, remove the top half of the intake manifold and getting in behind the engine to the coil pack, removing one wire at a time. The other way is to work a very slim hand between the back of the engine and the fire wall and replacing one wire at a time. Hard but duiable with a small hand and patience.
Always when scanning for codes, get the code number and the exact meaning so you can better figure out your options.
Mike

Old 05-19-2006, 12:24 PM
8th Gear

Your diagnosis was right on, I only needed to change the wires. Those platinum 4 plugs feel good also it runs great. The way to go was to remove the intake manifold big job, but doable. You mentioned something about getting rid of the built up carbon how do I do that? The check engine light is still on by the way; will that turn off the next couple of days?

Old 05-19-2006, 12:31 PM
8th Gear

Edit: Sorry for the double post.

Old 05-19-2006, 07:57 PM
Administrator

Your diagnosis was right on, I only needed to change the wires. Those platinum 4 plugs feel good also it runs great. The way to go was to remove the intake manifold big job, but doable. You mentioned something about getting rid of the built up carbon how do I do that? The check engine light is still on by the way; will that turn off the next couple of days?
Glad it worked.
No the light won't turn off, need to find a good scanner that can remove it.
As for the carbon build up in the throttle boddy, get a can of carb spray, remove the intake hose and really soak the butterfly from both sides, use a tooth bruch is you need to scrub it. Put it all back together and start it up, which may be hard if you use too much carb spray.
Now if you want to clean up the injectors and valves to pull a lot of carbon from the engine, get back to me.
Mike

Old 06-07-2006, 06:46 PM
8th Gear

Hey Mike. Did what you said it is clean, now how do i clean the valves and injectors. Also my SRS light is on for the "secondary restraint system" how do i get it check out? the dealer wants $250 just to get in what do you think is wrong with it. And how do i fix it?

Quick Reply: Misfire?