Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

misfire, codes 1300, 0301,0306

Old 08-22-2015, 12:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default misfire, codes 1300, 0301,0306

So, if someone can confirm I'm on the right track here, first one is general multicyl misfire, then cyl 1 & 6 misfire, respectively. According to this diagram, 1 & 6 share the same coil pack, which is the likely cause of my misfire?

Attached Thumbnails misfire, codes 1300, 0301,0306-dii-firing-order.jpg  
Old 08-22-2015, 12:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I guess I shoulda added in there, can the coil packs be replace without disassembling the whole top of the engine? I have heard both ways on the wires, but what about the packs?

Old 08-22-2015, 10:21 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Follow the spark plug wires and you'll find the coil packs on the back of the upper intake. It is an incredibly tight space. The two options are remove your motor mounts and lower the engine or remove the upper intake. If you remove the upper intake you should replace the upper intake gasket (about 20 bucks).

You can swap your coils and if the misfires move to other cylinders that is probably the cause.

Just a suggestion... before you do that are you sure it isn't the MAF? If you know someone with a well running rover swap MAF's for about 30 minutes. It might clear up all of your problems and it is a lot easier and cheaper than messing with the coils.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 08-22-2015 at 10:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
kenk (08-23-2015)
Old 08-22-2015, 10:24 PM
Camel Trophy

The upper intake is all that you would have to remove. Six bolts and some hoses and electrical connectors. Plus two small bolts that should be on the tops of your coil packs and two more at the bottom.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 08-22-2015 at 10:30 PM.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:19 AM
Mudding
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

If you have SAI it makes taking the upper intake off a little more of a pain in the *** but it's not a super hard job. I would rather pull the upper intake then mess with the motor mounts and drop the whole engine down.

While the intake is off it's a great time to do some other things.
-you can really go at the intake with some carb cleaner and get it all nice and clean again
-If you have any oil leaking from the valve covers then it's a really good time to change those out while the intake is off.
-new spark plugs and new wires if the old ones are over 50k miles
-new injector o-rings if you are getting lean codes (1171,1174)

The following users liked this post:
kenk (08-23-2015)
Old 08-23-2015, 08:49 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by R0VERGUY
If you have SAI it makes taking the upper intake off a little more of a pain in the *** but it's not a super hard job. I would rather pull the upper intake then mess with the motor mounts and drop the whole engine down.

While the intake is off it's a great time to do some other things.
-you can really go at the intake with some carb cleaner and get it all nice and clean again
-If you have any oil leaking from the valve covers then it's a really good time to change those out while the intake is off.
-new spark plugs and new wires if the old ones are over 50k miles
-new injector o-rings if you are getting lean codes (1171,1174)
Oh, I forgot about SAI. I don't have it.

Old 08-23-2015, 09:35 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks for the replies, I was "hoping" it could be done, but ohh well....I planned on plugs and wires being I'm in there already, but I didnt think about a bad maf until I did a little searching and Charlie mentioned it.I shall try that first since it could save some time. Thanks again!!

Old 08-23-2015, 09:36 AM
Recovery Vehicle

And yes, unfortunately, I have SAI

Old 08-23-2015, 09:49 AM
Mudding
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by kenk
And yes, unfortunately, I have SAI
-Yeah same here. You really have no room to even change the wires out with the intake on with SAI. We have extra pipes that run along the back of the firewall right next to the coils and it takes up the little room that is there.

-You will have to remove the drivers side SAI manifold and it makes it easier if you remove the passenger side also but I've done the job with it still connected before.

-There is a heater pipe coming from the firewall that goes into the engine block and that heater pipe bolts to the passenger side SAI manifold mount on the intake. It can be a pain in the *** to remove the SAI manifold without taking it out but it can be done. If you can avoid removing the heater pipe then you won't need to bleed or refill the coolant.

Old 08-23-2015, 10:44 AM
Camel Trophy

I have two engines and the second had SAI on it. Pain in the butt. Removed it. But I was fortunate enough to have a non SAI ECU/BCU. Just throwing this out there... you just cut the tubes to the heads and fill them with welding material. Reduces engine bay complication. But you'd need the non SAI computers.

Name:  IMG_20150703_111401.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  279.0 KB

My truck was originally non SAI... so if we ever get emission testing here I should be okay.

If it ain't broke don't fix it, but if it ever breaks that might be something to keep in mind--or if you break it removing the intake hahhaha (sorry). At least, you could get your intake off easier. Land Rover added hundreds in SAI parts and made the engine run hotter by removing the oil cooler--for emissions ONLY--but gave us plastic diff plugs. Go figure.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 08-23-2015 at 10:47 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: misfire, codes 1300, 0301,0306