Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Misfire Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 08:39 AM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Misfire Trouble

I know I'm probably not going to get the "it's probably just a coil/Plug/wire" I'm hoping for, but here's the issue...

2003 D2 4.6 SAI. No symptoms leading up to this. Was running like a gem, then I went to head to work this morning and as soon as I started her up I had a flashing SES. Pulled codes P0300 and P0303.
When I bought the truck it had a blown motor, so I dropped a '99 Rangie motor in it with 90k on the clock. I also had the heads done at that point. Here's where it gets interesting. I popped the hood and noticed the coolant res was a little low, and there is some seepage in the back driver's side gasket corner. Is cylinder 3 near a water jacket/troublesome head bolt? I'd love for this to not be a cracked block, but I'm mentally preparing for the worst.

On a side note, I did recently replace the AC compressor with a used one. It did run a little rough for a day or so (the pully was a little rusty), but once it cleaned up it's been going great.

I'll have time to pull the plug tomorrow for inspection, but wanted to get your initial thoughts. It's the coolant aspect that has me worried. I guess I'm asking if Cylinder 3 is one that is regularly involved in a block issue, or am I just paranoid?

Thanks!

Nick

Old 09-12-2018, 09:21 AM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

Cracked block issues can show up on any of the interior 4 cylinders. More likely to show up in a 03 Disco block than a 99 P38 block though.

Good luck!

Old 09-12-2018, 09:33 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Did the seepage appear to be running from further forward on their block or maybe higher?

The coolant is a worry. But I'd be happier with it escaping from a gasket than a crack.

There is a passage at the rear driver side.

Old 09-12-2018, 04:24 PM
Mudding

I got pretty swamped with work today, but will have some time to take a closer look tomorrow. At first glance, it looked like it's seeping through the back corner of the gasket, no evidence of dripping from higher up. But again, that's at a glance. Someone on another forum suggested it may be leaking from the throttlebody heater gasket, so I'll check that out as well. Hopefully they didn't over-tighten those bolts.

Old 09-12-2018, 05:12 PM
Mudding

Just had a chance to take a closer look. The coolant is definitely coming from the throttle body gasket Whew (I think). I mean... much better than another head job/motor. But still the misfire question remains. I'll probably just swap out the plugs and wires, but I hear it's a PITA. Should I spring for coils too while I'm doing it, or is it not as bad as everyone says to circle back to those if needed?

Old 09-12-2018, 05:30 PM
TReK

#3 is right beneath the throttle body, check for coolant dripping onto the ignition wire boot. the TBH plate is an easy DIY fix. Parts under $25 but just try tightening the bolts first and make sure the clamps are tight.

The following users liked this post:
nmacej (09-12-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 07:05 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Dave03S
#3 is right beneath the throttle body, check for coolant dripping onto the ignition wire boot. the TBH plate is an easy DIY fix. Parts under $25 but just try tightening the bolts first and make sure the clamps are tight.
Definitely will try that, There's a bunch of coolant crud around the gasket though. I feel like if the bolts did just back out a bit, tightening them down would probably just start the gasket down a road toward failure anyway. For $30 bucks, may as well replace it. REALLY good point about the boot though. I wonder if a good cleaning with some electronics spray would fix it, or if I should just replace the wires.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:45 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 819 Likes on 596 Posts

Or ... per the Great Throttle Body Heater Debate you can just plug the lines leading to the TBH and be done with it.

Old 09-12-2018, 10:33 PM
TReK

Yeah but he lives in Boston...

Old 09-12-2018, 11:47 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by nmacej
Just had a chance to take a closer look. The coolant is definitely coming from the throttle body gasket Whew (I think). I mean... much better than another head job/motor. But still the misfire question remains. I'll probably just swap out the plugs and wires, but I hear it's a PITA. Should I spring for coils too while I'm doing it, or is it not as bad as everyone says to circle back to those if needed?
That's good news. Glad for you...

Quick Reply: Misfire Trouble