Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

missfire cyl 1 - replaced coil packs, plugs and leads - still misfiring....

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 04:53 PM
Winching
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by LADEROUTE
Rocker shafts were tight and in good condition but this is the 2nd head gasket job i've done since buying the truck.
I have 155,000kms on the truck (93200 miles)

What did you do with the assembly - replace it?

After inspecting the cam for warn lobes, I just assumed it must be rockers. I mean I replaced everything coils, wires, plugs, injectors, O2 sensors. My HG job sat idle for a while with the heads off, and I was concerned a rocker may have been sticking. I ended up soaking the assemblies in a degreaser bath for a while, the towers were pretty gunked up. After oiling and re-installing my misfire went away and hasn't returned. I know it's probably last on the list of things to do, but that was my experience.

Old 07-23-2018, 12:02 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So an update is in order...
I changed the #1 (the offending cylinder) spark plug and wire again and the o2 sensors.
After resetting the codes it started and idled perfectly...... Then after about 5 minutes I reved it up and the light started flashing again and the same codes misfire #1 and catylitic failure blah blah..... and it went back to a rough idle.
Reset codes fine at idle - Rev motor to 2500rpm and the code flashes and then runs rough....
So now I have new headgskets, plugs, wires, coil packs and o2 sensors and a truck that runs like crap - time for matches or a new motor,,,?

Old 07-23-2018, 12:31 PM
TReK
Received 483 Likes on 406 Posts

Did you replace the fuel injectors?

The following users liked this post:
shanechevelle (08-27-2019)
Old 07-23-2018, 12:32 PM
Winching
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

I think it's very interesting that clearing the codes resolves the issue.

After you clear the codes, will it idle smooth indefinitely? In other words, can you attribute the issue to RPM or to run time? I'm not sure how long you let it sit after clearing code, but I wonder if that could be related to engine temp?

If it is RPM related then I would investigate things that change with RPM. MAF, fuel pump, vacuum leak? Your spark/electrical sounds solid. I know it is a PITA, but it may be worth pulling the lower manifold and looking at the cam shaft lobes?

Old 07-23-2018, 12:40 PM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

I had an issue like that which turned out to be a cam lobe. It would idle perfectly until there was a load on it. You could even drive like an old lady around town and not really notice. At that time I did not have the ability to clear the codes though, which is an interesting aspect... I never had a rough idle after the CEL came on and flashed, it misfired under load, idled smooth again with no clearing codes.

Last edited by Dave03S; 07-23-2018 at 02:40 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:43 PM
Received 394 Likes on 306 Posts

You said it was burning oil ? Maybe rings or other parts in engine are causing this
try swapping coils see if misfire follows

Old 07-23-2018, 01:45 PM
Received 394 Likes on 306 Posts

Sometimes you get new parts that are bad. Maybe switch the coils around

Old 07-24-2018, 10:53 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by robert.juric
I think it's very interesting that clearing the codes resolves the issue.

After you clear the codes, will it idle smooth indefinitely? In other words, can you attribute the issue to RPM or to run time? I'm not sure how long you let it sit after clearing code, but I wonder if that could be related to engine temp?

If it is RPM related then I would investigate things that change with RPM. MAF, fuel pump, vacuum leak? Your spark/electrical sounds solid. I know it is a PITA, but it may be worth pulling the lower manifold and looking at the cam shaft lobes?
I clear the codes and immediately start the truck and it runs smoothly.
It seems to be under load that it misfires and then idles rough.
Seems to me that if it was a cam lobe it would cause a misfire all the time.... When we did the headgasket we replaced the lifters and there was no visible wear on the lifters/cam..... I may have to try an injector.....

Thanks for all the input gents - will update as this progresses.
:c heers:

Old 07-24-2018, 11:10 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

If you remove your #1 spark plug and disconnect or remove #2-7 wires/plugs you can turn the motor with the start to see if oil or coolant is pouring into #1?

Old 07-25-2018, 02:58 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,278 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
Did you replace the fuel injectors?
^^^^This^^^^This^^^^This^^^^

Check the harness for the injector, especially right at the injector, notorious for breaking/loosing contact in this area. If harness looks good, pull injectors and have them rebuilt or replace.

Brian.

The following users liked this post:
LADEROUTE (07-27-2018)

Quick Reply: missfire cyl 1 - replaced coil packs, plugs and leads - still misfiring....