Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Missing Oil.... or something..

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 07:24 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

What you guys are forgetting about his truck is that this is his first oil change and probalbaly the first time this engine has ever had full synthetic oil in it.
Engines dont like it when you change brands/type of motor oil.
The oil "seeps" into the pores of the block and when you switch from dino oil to lab oil the lab oil will need to replace all the dino oil.
So bascially his oil loss is not going out the tailpipe or onto the ground, it is literaly going into his block.
It will stop on its own, it may take 10,000 miles or so but it will stop.
Had he bought the truck brand new and had been using full syn the whole time and this was now a problem then he would have a problem, but that is not the case.
He bought the truck used a few months ago, switch to Mobil 1 and now he is "loosing" oil.
It will stop Pat, dont worry about it, I have not steered you wrong yet have I?

Old 08-04-2009, 11:02 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My LR dealer told me to not use a synthetic oil because it caused some seals to fail, he used the term "swell up" and actually refused to put synthentic in on my 60K service. Has anyone else heard of such a tune?

Old 08-04-2009, 11:21 AM
Three Wheeling

The exact same thing happened to me when I put Mobil 1 in my 2004. Oil vanished. I figured it was because of what Spike said, but I decided to change back to Castrol Syntec (my understanding is even though this is a synthetic oil it has a Dino base) and have not had a problem since.

I figure this is a pretty good oil so I have just stuck with it since the Rover seems to like it.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:07 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use the Rotella T 15w-40 that JupiterRover turned me onto, but she still drinks it up.

Ah, yes... Rovers and their drinking problems! Mine does it to the tune of about 1 qt every 700 miles. I'm told that LRNA's official policy is that up to 1 qt every 600 miles is acceptable! WOW, that's a lot of oil!

I bought mine from a dealer as well, under warranty, and have monitored this consumption for the better part of a year. My truck is now out of warranty, but the LR service advisor wants to replace the short block because the oil consumption is coupled with a bottom-end ticking sound that comes and goes intermittently. LRNA offered to pay $2000 towards a new engine, or the same amount towards a new LR in dealer inventory. What a joke.

I'm going to monitor the oil closely and drive it until it fails, then put a new (used) engine in it with an indy LR mechanic.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:13 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco_Fever
I use the Rotella T 15w-40 that JupiterRover turned me onto, but she still drinks it up.
You may want to not use diesel oil if your engine is consuming that much. As I recall it has somewhere around 1200ppm phosphorus which is a detergent this might be why you are consuming so much oil when you switched. Maybe you should try something like Mobile 1 10W-40 high mileage that has 900 ppm phosphorus but 1000ppm zinc. Just a thoght.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:26 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by lipadj46
You may want to not use diesel oil if your engine is consuming that much. As I recall it has somewhere around 1200ppm phosphorus which is a detergent this might be why you are consuming so much oil when you switched. Maybe you should try something like Mobile 1 10W-40 high mileage that has 900 ppm phosphorus but 1000ppm zinc. Just a thoght.
You're correct about the ppm on the ZDDP, but that's nothing to do with the oil consumption. I deliberately chose the Rotella after extensive research specifically because of the high ZDDP content. Seeing as these are antiquated flat-tappet engines, they actually need the higher ZDDP content to avoid premature wear. The higher ZDDP is bad for the catalytic converters, but I'll take that trade-off if it helps prolong the life of other more expensive internal engine components.

Regardless, it used the same amount of oil before I switched to the Rotella, which was about 10k ago.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:00 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I use Mobile 1 15W-50 it has higher zinc ppm than the rotella. The thicker oil may help keep it in the engine too. Just a thought. Also maybe add some Lucas or White Sheperds .

Old 08-04-2009, 04:13 PM
Winching

I've been doing a quart of Lucas with each oil change, every 3k.

I'll take a look at the Mobil-1 15w-50, thanks for the heads-up.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:16 PM
Winching

i switched to synthetic at the last oil change and i am noticing my oil level get lower each time i check it. wondering if i can add RP 5w-30 to the RP 10w-40 thats in the truck, as top-off oil?

Old 08-04-2009, 04:26 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco_Fever
I've been doing a quart of Lucas with each oil change, every 3k.

I'll take a look at the Mobil-1 15w-50, thanks for the heads-up.
Stop using Lucas in your motor oil, you are wasting money, if your motor oil cant do the job then you need a new motor oil.
I also use Mobil 1 15w-50 in the summer and then I switch to 5w-30 for the winter as my truck sits outside.

Quick Reply: Missing Oil.... or something..