Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mods to improve MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 11:13 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vandev
You said it..but i wound not care about $4.53 a gallon if i had killer surf......
Yeah I don't care about the price that's what the Geo is for.

This is only part of what the disco is for, it was 80 Sunday so we headed to the beach.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:48 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You guys talking about your gas guzzling SUV's makes me sick...

....Ok guys, I've gotta get to bed, gotta big important day tomorrow. First I'll throw on my most crunchy Che t-shirt, because everyone knows he's a hero, then I'm meeting my friends at Starbucks for a latte (on my parents dime of course). While I'm there, I'll use the free Wi-FI (cuz my parents are too stingy to hook up the internet in the basement for me) to surf the Huffington Post for the days latest and most accurate news. Then I'm off to downtown to "Occupy" the bank (where ironically, I have a checking and savings account) damn greedy corporate pigs...probably cap off the day by insulting a cop or two, because they work for "the man" anyways so they are part of the problem. Then when it's all said and done, I'll blog about how much of a difference I'm making in the world.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:43 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by SolbergFanBoi
Not done by me:

Chevy Volt at the invitation of General Motors.

For four days in a row, the fully charged battery lasted only 25 miles
before the Volt switched to the reserve gasoline engine.
Eric calculated the car got 30 mpg including the 25 miles it ran on the
battery. So, the range including the 9 gallon gas tank and the 16 kwh
battery is approximately 270 miles. It will take you 4 1/2 hours to
drive 270 miles at 60 mph. Then add 10 hours to charge the battery and
you have a total trip time of 14.5 hours. In a typical road trip your
average speed (including charging time) would be 20 mph.

According to General Motors, the Volt battery holds 16 kwh of
electricity. It takes a full 10 hours to charge a drained battery.
The cost for the electricity to charge the Volt is never mentioned so I
looked up what I pay for electricity.

I pay approximately (it varies with amount used and the seasons) $1.16
per kwh.

16 kwh x $1.16 per kwh = $18.56 to charge the battery.

$18.56 per charge divided by 25 miles = $0.74 per mile to operate the
Volt using the battery.

Compare this to a similar size car with a gasoline engine only that
gets 32 mpg.

$3.19 per gallon divided by 32 mpg = $0.10 per mile.
$3.75 per gallon divided by 32 mpg = $0.12 per mile.

The gasoline powered car cost about $15,000 while the Volt costs
$46,000.

So Obama wants us to pay 3 times as much for a car that costs more that
7 times as much to run and takes 3 times as long to drive across country.

REALLY? I say "drill here - drill now". This is nuts, but people have bought them.

Nobody said the car was perfect, or for everyone.
Nobody said you HAD to buy a Chevy Volt, or even a Chevy.
And if you take 2 min to read this EIA's Energy in Brief: How dependent are we on foreign oil? you will see that we get over half of our oil from our own land already.
So drilling more does nothing, not to mention it takes 3-5 years from the time you start building your drilling rig until that oil actually hits the market.
What we need to do it stop oil speculation and promote and expand green energy, oil is dead, it is on its way out, plain and simple, it will happen.
We can either plan ahead and be part of the solution or we can stick with the same old same old and pay $20 a gal for gas before we retire.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default ugggg..

The car is as perfect as the people in office making these decisions...between them and the EPA , well...F$cking idiots....attach anything to the government is like attaching your *** to your face... It's embarrassing...These are the same people who don't believe in evolution....Ugggg.. Im getting a headache...

Lewis black couldn't have said it any better....

Lewis Black - How to Pick the President - YouTube

YolodiscoII... What's up with the latte? Doesn't sound like you....Latte??

Old 03-07-2012, 08:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default Nice...

Originally Posted by bullcrew
Yeah I don't care about the price that's what the Geo is for.

This is only part of what the disco is for, it was 80 Sunday so we headed to the beach.
Nice, I need to get on my paddle board....been too busy... So how do you like the tires so far? I am looking at getting a set. Let me know how you like them so far.

Thanks bro, Chris

Old 03-07-2012, 08:52 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SolbergFanBoi
Not done by me:

Chevy Volt at the invitation of General Motors.

For four days in a row, the fully charged battery lasted only 25 miles
before the Volt switched to the reserve gasoline engine.
Eric calculated the car got 30 mpg including the 25 miles it ran on the
battery. So, the range including the 9 gallon gas tank and the 16 kwh
battery is approximately 270 miles. It will take you 4 1/2 hours to
drive 270 miles at 60 mph. Then add 10 hours to charge the battery and
you have a total trip time of 14.5 hours. In a typical road trip your
average speed (including charging time) would be 20 mph.

According to General Motors, the Volt battery holds 16 kwh of
electricity. It takes a full 10 hours to charge a drained battery.
The cost for the electricity to charge the Volt is never mentioned so I
looked up what I pay for electricity.

I pay approximately (it varies with amount used and the seasons) $1.16
per kwh.

16 kwh x $1.16 per kwh = $18.56 to charge the battery.

$18.56 per charge divided by 25 miles = $0.74 per mile to operate the
Volt using the battery.

Compare this to a similar size car with a gasoline engine only that
gets 32 mpg.

$3.19 per gallon divided by 32 mpg = $0.10 per mile.
$3.75 per gallon divided by 32 mpg = $0.12 per mile.

The gasoline powered car cost about $15,000 while the Volt costs
$46,000.

One last "problem" with this guys math, you can refuel the Volt and not charge the battery, the engine will/can charge the battery.
So if you are on a long trip, forget the battery and run on the gas engine only, refuel as needed and drive as far as you like.
Now you are at home, you run out of diapers, run down to the corner store on the battery only, no gas used.
Electric companies are not only offering reduced rates for people who own electric cars the home chargers have timers to turn on and charge the battery at night when electric rates are lower and the demand on the grid is less.
If all we do is bash and name call and hold back innovation it will be a long slow process.
If we welcome innovation, and help it thrive like in Europe we may actually get a refund check from the electric company instead of us paying them.
We Americans are always the last ones to the party because all we do is fight over stupid things the other guy is trying instead of doing what is best for us as a nation.
This is true of both parties.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default This is true of both parties...LOL

Originally Posted by Spike555
One last "problem" with this guys math, you can refuel the Volt and not charge the battery, the engine will/can charge the battery.
So if you are on a long trip, forget the battery and run on the gas engine only, refuel as needed and drive as far as you like.
Now you are at home, you run out of diapers, run down to the corner store on the battery only, no gas used.
Electric companies are not only offering reduced rates for people who own electric cars the home chargers have timers to turn on and charge the battery at night when electric rates are lower and the demand on the grid is less.
If all we do is bash and name call and hold back innovation it will be a long slow process.
If we welcome innovation, and help it thrive like in Europe we may actually get a refund check from the electric company instead of us paying them.
We Americans are always the last ones to the party because all we do is fight over stupid things the other guy is trying instead of doing what is best for us as a nation.

This is true of both parties.
Lewis Black couldn't have said it better... "Our two party system is like a bowl of Sh$t looking at itself in the mirror"....LOL

Old 03-07-2012, 09:47 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by vandev
Lewis Black couldn't have said it better... "Our two party system is like a bowl of Sh$t looking at itself in the mirror"....LOL
Exactly!!

Old 03-07-2012, 10:26 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the Volt is a great idea, it's the way it is being thrown out to the public to early and was being used as a prop for Obama's re-election. The technology isn't ready, end O' story. If "alternative energy" was an affordable alternative, then we wouldn't have to try to force it down everyone's throat. No one in there right mind loves pollution or enjoys getting crappy gas mileage, but gas is the technology we have at the moment and we need to find better ways to keep those prices down so our economy can recover.

I hope someday all of our cars get 1000 mpg, or better yet, are 100% zero emissions, as long as they are still making 4WD versions I'll be happy

But back to the original question...I found the answer :

Sen. Barack Obama's answer to meeting energy demands - YouTube

Or better yet just wait until his plan actually kicks in....probably saving this slam dunk for his 2nd term

OBAMA'S GONNA PAY FOR MY GAS... - YouTube

Old 03-07-2012, 11:06 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Nobody said the car was perfect, or for everyone.
Nobody said you HAD to buy a Chevy Volt, or even a Chevy.
And if you take 2 min to read this EIA's Energy in Brief: How dependent are we on foreign oil? you will see that we get over half of our oil from our own land already.
So drilling more does nothing, not to mention it takes 3-5 years from the time you start building your drilling rig until that oil actually hits the market.
What we need to do it stop oil speculation and promote and expand green energy, oil is dead, it is on its way out, plain and simple, it will happen.
We can either plan ahead and be part of the solution or we can stick with the same old same old and pay $20 a gal for gas before we retire.
Well said, greed and speculation is the root of most of today's world problems. Politician might want to sell it to us under different names and they have too, just see who is paying all the campaign contributions. The only sane person in the politcs I am seing is Ron Paul, but I thought Barak Obama might have been a good soul too, so who knows.

Quick Reply: Mods to improve MPG?