Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More leg room in a Discovery II?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 08:47 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default More leg room in a Discovery II?

After six months of research, I think I'm finally ready to jump into the Land Rover waters...I think. Found an 01 D2 in pretty good shape with all the cool stuff I'd want on it, recent head gasket, new cooling system, caring owner, etc.

Took it for a drive today (my first drive of a Discovery II) and found myself wishing the front seat would move a bit more rearward. Even at it's maximum distance back things are a little tight in the leg room department. I'm 6'-5" with a 33" inseam.

Has anyone ever tried relocating the seat to gain more space?

Old 05-07-2011, 09:35 PM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have seen a thread in here before talking about seat modifications (of course I can't find it using the search feature). It had something to do with reversing the tracks so the seat will slide back farther -- you will lose some of the forward motion as a result of the mod. Here's a link to another website where someone tried it --http://www.landrovergeeks.com/repair/how-articles/modify-seating-gain-leg-room-land-rover-discovery

If you do it -- be sure to post some photos as I have been thinking of doing the same thing. Good luck.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:38 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

are you sure the seat is going all the way back? I'm 6'3" with 32" inseam and I'm comfortable with seat not even all the way back.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:27 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess it's possible the seat isn't going all the way back, but the motor runs until it feels like it hits a stop.

I'll check out reversing the tracks. Sounds like a great solution, though the link shows doing this on manual seats.

Thanks!

Last edited by KenR; 05-07-2011 at 10:30 PM.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:39 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My driver's side seat couldn't go all the way back because of a quarter in the track. It's a possibility.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:54 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ALAKDisco
My driver's side seat couldn't go all the way back because of a quarter in the track. It's a possibility.
thats what i'm thinking..something fell down there and is blocking it

Old 10-29-2015, 09:10 PM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

can anyone help me with some photos and information on how to modify the seat rails in the land rover discovery 2 to go back for a tall fella! I would really appreciate any help! The above link to "my rover" did not work.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:32 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 963 Likes on 641 Posts

I'm 6'2" with a 34 length jean. I understand the leg room in the D2 issue. I had heard something about reversing the seat tracks and I've considered trying it. I figure it's probably relatively straight forward. Another option is getting a set of racing seats. Summit makes seats for relatively cheap that look kinda nice.

Here's if you've got the black interior and you like fabric.

Here's if you've got black interior and you like pleather.

And here's if you've got tan interior. There's a different for the drivers in passengers side for this one.

I really like the look of the fabric seats, if I were getting some it would be them. And of course, there are more expensive options available, but those seem nice to me.

Old 10-30-2015, 05:34 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

it been awhile since i have seen it but iirc,
the fellow bolted 2 pieces of flat stock in the stock seat location and had 4 studs wielded to it facing up which the seat sat on and bolted down.
shouldnt be that hard to figure out

Old 10-30-2015, 07:00 AM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I came from a cherokee where I had to slouch to keep my head from touching the roof. Now in the land rover with the seat all the way back I feel like I room to play drums.

Quick Reply: More leg room in a Discovery II?