Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

motor swap?...

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 11:57 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ahh hah,

Heres the link, just click HERE...

Enjoy, this guy did a badass job man.. Props buddy.

Regards,

Old 05-20-2010, 01:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default sounds like alot of work..

Originally Posted by heartofrome@googlemail.com
im looking into the blueprints 262 cid create or even the 355ci from jeggs for my 04 disco 2 i was wondering what your thoughts on the swap and if anyone knows were to get either mounts or adaptors for the mounts any and all info regarding this would be awesome

If you read the recient post "everything you ever wanted to know about rover V8 engine Failure", would give you some good ideas about repowering your truck or should i say start looking for options..... I have a 2004 DII also and am also going to build what i think will be the perfect power match with the least amount of hassel....ie adapters and machining... If you have the cash, go get a billet block made to the specsof the LR block that is in there now. if not follow some ideas from article. Remember every year ther tolerances got worse and worse for there blocks. I would be looking for one of the first year 4.6 blocks and have it rebuilt with top hat liners and better gaskets...well, gaskets that dont fail... I am sure for under $5,000.00 i could build a bullet proof beast and leave the rest of my drivetrain alone and actually drive my truck without watching the tempeture gauge.. yea...wouldnt that be something...It's funny as the other day i was driving my wifes new volvo and she asked what i kept looking at...It was the temp gauge... I have POSS ...." Pile of sh^&t syndrome"....

keep us updated as i would like to hear what you come up with...

Thanks Chris

Old 05-20-2010, 07:45 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked and I couldn't find any adapters for land rover tranny but I did find one to bolt transfercase to any chevy tranny. Running the rover tranny wouldn't be worth the trouble and big bill. You would have to have a stand alone ECM to control it. If you get a 350 with a 4L60 you could use the chevy computer to control both. You have the option to run any of the gm trannys. 350, 700r4, 200r4, 400, or the 4L80 that's my choice. The 700 wouldn't be bad because it needs no computer and has overdrive

Old 05-20-2010, 09:49 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by DiscoWest
This is true, I was told by some to not even consider converting a secondary air engine to non SAI when I did my swap, which is extremely easy.

Good luck with finding an answer to your question and be sure to post the solution you find. There's a lot of us who recognize that the engine is a disaster waiting to happen, but love the truck and would be willing to swap the whole drivetrain if it could be done well.
When you say you converted to non SAI, do you mean you deleted the system from your vehicle, or did you put a non SAI engine in your vehicle, or what. I would like to scrap my SAI system but I wasn't sure if there was something that needed to be done with the computer... I would really like for you to let me know. Thanks!

Old 05-21-2010, 10:53 AM
Mudding

what about a 200TDi?

Old 05-21-2010, 12:49 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's something known for years by us old farts. LOL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rover_V8_engine

luck,greg

Old 05-21-2010, 01:28 PM
6th Gear

i would also suggest a 200tdi or 300tdi and from what i know it would bolt right into the vehicle but once again you would prolly need the correct trans, and ecu and such

Old 05-21-2010, 02:21 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by greg409
Here's something known for years by us old farts. LOL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rover_V8_engine

luck,greg
Yes........

But will a Buick 350 (or Olds or Pontiac) bolt up the the Disco's trans? I cannot find any hard info on the mounting pattern of the 215 as compared to other Buick enginers.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:02 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rearden Steel
Yes........

But will a Buick 350 (or Olds or Pontiac) bolt up the the Disco's trans? I cannot find any hard info on the mounting pattern of the 215 as compared to other Buick enginers.
The 215, 300, 340 were all based on the same block castings.

I would confirm the bolt pattern with a template, if I went for a rebuildable motor.

In greg's perfect world, a junkyard 300/340 for $200 with $400 worth of buick freak parts would be a nice deal, (I just want a rebuildable shortblock.)LOL

I think the 350 and up were a new generation.

But, if I were going to swap, I'd use the 300, give me a little more, but not so much that I'd blow up the driveline.

(Kind of like the old gm 3speed behind anything bigger than a 283)

luck,greg

Last edited by greg409; 05-21-2010 at 06:05 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:28 PM
Three Wheeling

I was doing a lot of research on how to make our engines not suck so bad....

I am 99% sure that the buick 350 will have the same bolt pattern as ours. The crank will supposedly drop in to our blocks too, but since ours uses has a longer crank snout I am still trying to finger out how to get it to work with the LR oil pump and pulley assembly. The stroke of the motor is also so long that the pistons and rod bolts need to be clearanced, BUT it will get something like 348CU out of our motors. I am still researching out whether we will need shorter rods (guessing we do). Also, I am going to look in to shortening the stroke by offset grinding, but I don't know if it is worth it.
I would look in to putting a different motor, but I really don't want to have to mess with the fuel management system. If I could get a ford 4.6 or 5.4 to mate up to the trans and work with the fuel injection, I would probably go that route. The 350 crank just seems like the most cost effective solution...

Has anyone tried to wet sleeve our engines?

Quick Reply: motor swap?...