Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

motor swap?...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 09:53 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I completely agree Greg.

Thats why I'm leaning towards the toddco.

You keep the factory ecu.
The engine maybe producing 50 ft-lbs more torque over a factory 4.6.....and 140 hp more then the 4.0....but hp doesnt kill drivelines....its torque...

so I think the capabilitys of keeping the driveline together for daily driving is definatly possible. Also keeping a drivline intact will depend on the driver, being smooth and progressive keep thing lasting much longer...my 91 vw passat wagon vr6 turbo is making almost twice the power around 350 whp and about the same maybe more in wtq, stock 172bhp and 175 tq. Its been running like that for 3 years. its done long trip from Toronto to Englishtown and back....driven to work everyday in the summer and it has been to track and made several passes down the strip....in 3 years I've replaced 1 driveshaft....which was the original from 91....the tranny still shifts smooth..I guess what im trying to say is I drive it properly and still get the most out of it

And just because the engine is more powerfull doesnt nessessarily mean that it will actually waste that much more fuel. alot of the power increase is going to be coming from freeing up power and making the engine efficient by way of better airflow and better combustion....It being more efficient and more powerfull also means that it wont have to pushed as hard to do the everyday tasks....its only when your going to start throwin down that hammer that you will see a drastic decrease in mpg.

and for durability Todd said that you dont have to worry about the common issues like slipped liners and such....

Matt....sorry for the long post

Old 05-22-2010, 10:45 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by instg8r
The engine maybe producing 50 ft-lbs more torque over a factory 4.6.....and 140 hp more then the 4.0....but hp doesnt kill drivelines....its torque...

And just because the engine is more powerfull doesnt nessessarily mean that it will actually waste that much more fuel. alot of the power increase is going to be coming from freeing up power and making the engine efficient by way of better airflow and better combustion....It being more efficient and more powerfull also means that it wont have to pushed as hard to do the everyday tasks....its only when your going to start throwin down that hammer that you will see a drastic decrease in mpg.
Matt....sorry for the long post
If there's one thing our motors need, it's more HP. Those intake runners are just too dang long. Another thing I am looking in to is buying another upper intake, cutting the mount base off and putting an open plennum that will have a 90 degree turn that mounts the throttle body in the same position. That should free up some power. I know low velocity / long runners makes a lot of torque, but I think the designers went a little overboard. There are more than a few dodge guys who turned their 318's into a 408 stroker and are getting 30-40% better mileage because if the engine not needing to work nearly as hard.
Of course, the potential to get the truck sideways is always a benefit too.

Old 05-22-2010, 11:35 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you might drift it but getting sideways will be rather difficult with the full time 4x4

Old 05-23-2010, 12:40 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this thread is badass.

Old 05-23-2010, 04:32 PM
Mudding

yes this thread is badass....

we need more of this, I've noticed that the ol'timers on this forums seem to be against geting more power and efficiency from our rover v8's.

pushing the limits and boundrys and coming up with experiance and good info for rest are whats its all about.

Old 05-23-2010, 05:00 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have RPi rebuild the engine

http://www.v8engines.com/

Old 05-23-2010, 05:50 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by instg8r
yes this thread is badass....

we need more of this, I've noticed that the ol'timers on this forums seem to be against geting more power and efficiency from our rover v8's.

pushing the limits and boundrys and coming up with experiance and good info for rest are whats its all about.

OH, stop, you're making me blush.

The lr package is excellent for what it's designed for, crawling around in the boonies
and then driving you and your family home in safe comfort.

I'm not against building the crap out of anything, but I'd pick a better pallette than a discovery.

Here's some more: http://aluminumv8.com/ LOL

luck,greg

Old 05-23-2010, 11:41 PM
Mudding

hahaha...well...I hope anybody didnt take offance to the ol'timer comment...

I meant that the younger crowd is into more then just maintainace...lol

it is my opinion that every platform can be improved.

having a better performing engine really shouldnt effect those other things that you mentioned that the LR does so well....it will still crawl and it will still drive your family in comfort....just with 300hp at the ready.

I mean having 300hp from a v8 powered vehicle certainly isnt building the crap out of anything...

plus you dont need to conform to the regular build vehicles..you build what you like.

I turbocharged Vw Passat station wagon....who does that?...and I'm loving every minute of it...

my dream set-up would be to keep the 4.0, put the merlin f-85 heads a good cam, some low compression forged pistons and do a sweet custom twin turbo set-up...because...well its just awesome to do.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:47 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Torancis_LR
Have RPi rebuild the engine

http://www.v8engines.com/

I love watching the rpi videos on youtube. like this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYBPQP-H0fY

and this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPNL5DbJupQ

and this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDZHRun6h7c

but it would cost alot of monet considering that they are in England. it would be cheaper and easier to get the toddco

Old 05-24-2010, 10:21 AM
Mudding

what is inyeresting though is the toddco utilizes the buick 300 crank and heads which are ported and polished, bigger pistons, rods, bigger injectors and 5L of dispplacement. On the toddco suspensions website it claims 320hp and 340 ft-lbs.

the rpi stage 3 is a stock 4.6 bottom end, with the merlin f85 heads, 270 cam, headers, and bigger injectors. and they make 300hp and 300 ft-lbs.

which shows just how much power the merlin f85 heads make.

I believe the merlin heads cost around 1500 british pounds. so even though simple and straight forward, by the time to locate a good low mileage 4.6 and buy the merlin heads and pay for shipping it doesnt look cheap.

Quick Reply: motor swap?...