Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mud?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 06:01 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The pressure washer may strip paint off of a re-spray, so if you have had body panels repainted be careful not to get the nozzle too close or the jet can get up under a stone chip or nick and start taking the paint off in sheets.

And again, matter of opinion I'm sure, but a new Rover does not like water - too many electronics. Old diesel Rovers could run under water without a problem, but if you see a snorkel on a D2 it is for show only - the recommended max fording depth for a D2 is 20 inches FOR A REASON. A D1 might have a little more water tolerance, but then you get to deal with the other voluminous Lucas shortcomings. Pressure washers are great tools, but they can tear stuff up in a hurry - rubber, plastic, paint - caution is advised.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:09 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by atvrdr
thanks for all the advice and one last question i read somewhere about spraying the bottom of the truck with truck bed liner or a spray similar to this?

would it be a bad idea to spray the bottom of the truck with bed liner?

like line-X?
DO NOT do this, you will plug drain holes and the frame will rust to nothing.
If you want to spray the insides of your fenders fine, but not the underbody.
And also note that mud will stick to a rough surface better than a smooth one.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:49 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gilder

And again, matter of opinion I'm sure, but a new Rover does not like water - too many electronics. Old diesel Rovers could run under water without a problem, but if you see a snorkel on a D2 it is for show only - the recommended max fording depth for a D2 is 20 inches FOR A REASON. A D1 might have a little more water tolerance, but then you get to deal with the other voluminous Lucas shortcomings. Pressure washers are great tools, but they can tear stuff up in a hurry - rubber, plastic, paint - caution is advised.
Actually, the electronics on a DII are hidden extremly well. You would have to open the cover they are in to get them wet. That being said, if you get to deep while crossing a river, the box they are in is not water-tight, so thats where you run into a problem. Here is a thread from a while back, the whole topic was engine washing:

https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...er+Wash+engine

BUT i agree 100% with taking caution. Get to close to a rubber hose and you'll knock it right off. And something I have forgot to mention, make sure you do it while the engine is cool.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:27 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The Mud will draw out natural oils in the paint and fade it fast. Actually, the opposite of what Spike told you will happen. If you bake mud on a truck, it will oxidize fast.

Do not use any chemical degreasers on the engine. They will eat the seals on an engine that is already prone to leaking. Use water only. On a D2, you will be ok to pressure wash. If you are worried about electrics, stay away from the ECU and the coil pack.

I would only use undercoating on the underside of the truck. Bed liners can crack and if they get water trapped in them, they will just rust out what they are coating. Use 3M undercoating every 6 months if it is getting worn off from road debris. Truck liner is not a good idea.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:11 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you own a GOOD power washer you can turn it down to a light setting and dont have to worry about any super high pressure... just a thought...

Old 06-10-2009, 07:52 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by JBEGIN
if you own a GOOD power washer you can turn it down to a light setting and dont have to worry about any super high pressure... just a thought...
I don't have any "good" tools any more - they were all "borrowed...."

Old 06-10-2009, 10:51 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by atvrdr
thanks for all the advice and one last question i read somewhere about spraying the bottom of the truck with truck bed liner or a spray similar to this?

would it be a bad idea to spray the bottom of the truck with bed liner?

like line-X?
Landrovers have a built in "Anti Corrosion" system, they leak a bunch of oil thereby oiling the undercarriage and inhibiting any rust.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:56 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Leaks ANd Drips Required Or Very Extensive Rust happens

Thats where Land Rover came from...

Old 06-10-2009, 12:23 PM
Winching

yeah, what is it about my land rover that it just doesnt rust? (talkin on the paint)
i tried to stick a magnet on my paintjob and it wouldnt stick.... so are disco's a composite body?

Old 06-10-2009, 12:28 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by JBEGIN
yeah, what is it about my land rover that it just doesnt rust? (talkin on the paint)
i tried to stick a magnet on my paintjob and it wouldnt stick.... so are disco's a composite body?
Doors and roof are steel, everything else is an alloy.

Another thing about mud, especially on an off road trail. It will contain all the gas, oil, brake fluid, etc from every truck before you that had any leaks or breakdowns. You REALLY want to get it off your paint as soon as you can, I know it looks cool, but if you leave it on too long, it could be bad

Quick Reply: mud?