Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

muffler questions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 07:05 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default muffler questions?

First off id like to say that you guys have been very helpful.
I have a 98 disco and i want a deeper toned exhaust. Something not to loud but has a nice rumble. I've been looking at the Dynomax superturbo and Flowmaster 40 series...I've searched and read about removing the resonator considering i do not wheel to often and doesnt really get in the way do i have to remove it?

If i just get a muffler shop to cut the old rusted muffler and replace it with the dynomax or flowmaster will i still acheive a deep roar or will i need to take the resonator off??

Ive listened to some sound clips and some landrovers sound like lawnmowers because the tone is not smooth at all so what muffler do you guys recomend?...and exhaust shops dont charge more then 40$ to just cut a muffler and weld a new one right?

Thanks for all the help in advance

Old 06-28-2009, 07:18 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by atvrdr

Ive listened to some sound clips and some landrovers sound like lawnmowers because the tone is not smooth at all so what muffler do you guys recomend?
Your probably referring to my thread and my sound clip. However, with an engine that big, 4.6 litres, there is no way to make the tone 'smooth' without sacrificing some sound.

I believe the 98 Discos has a smaller engine. Anyway if you are looking for a deeper tone, you'll get that lawnmower sound.

I do believe though, if you get a magna flow or any muffler, keep the resonators would help cut the loudness.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:31 PM
Overlanding

alright thanks i actually just listened to your truck and i actually like it

but if i just get a new muffler and keep the res do you think it would be deeper and noticble compared to the stock muffler?

also what mufflers do you guys recomend?

Old 06-28-2009, 08:29 PM
Rock Crawling

turn your radio up louder then you don't have to worry about wtf it sounds like......

Old 06-28-2009, 10:30 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anyone ever changed to dual output like on the P38, or even dual exhaust ?

Old 06-29-2009, 09:44 AM
Overlanding

ive seen it done

Old 06-29-2009, 04:29 PM
Overlanding

im actually confused

where is the resonator located???
is the resonator the "rear" muffler or is it located in the front of the truck???

also if i buy a Dynomax or Flowmaster do i just replace the "rear" muffler???? meaning the muffler to the left of the gas tank????

also what will happen if i just replace the rear muffler with a Dynomax?? Will it still rumble or will it sound stock?

Old 06-29-2009, 05:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by atvrdr
im actually confused

where is the resonator located???
is the resonator the "rear" muffler or is it located in the front of the truck???

also if i buy a Dynomax or Flowmaster do i just replace the "rear" muffler???? meaning the muffler to the left of the gas tank????

also what will happen if i just replace the rear muffler with a Dynomax?? Will it still rumble or will it sound stock?

No, the one you were referring to is the resonator. The muffler is located in the middle of the truck.

Just remove the stock muffler, you'll notice its huge. And do a straight pipe in replace of the resonators.

Don't forget to record a sound clip for the forum community so we can learn your set up.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:08 PM
Mudding

Split that sucker at the Y and run two Cherry Bombs high and tight

Old 06-29-2009, 06:15 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Torancis_LR
No, the one you were referring to is the resonator. The muffler is located in the middle of the truck.

Just remove the stock muffler, you'll notice its huge. And do a straight pipe in replace of the resonators.

Don't forget to record a sound clip for the forum community so we can learn your set up.
alright so i would be removing the huge muffler in the middle of the truck which i see and id be replacing it with a dynomax muffler then i take cut the resonator off and just do a pipe going out the side? would this sound nice?

Quick Reply: muffler questions?