Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Multiple misfire?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2024, 06:23 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Harvlr
Were you able to drain the 1/4 tank of old gas before adding the 91?
i was not, no. I tried to figure out a way to jury-rig something, but I'm really limited om space and time. That's why I opted for fresh gas, and a fuel system cleaner. I had hoped the 91 would mix with the old gas, and make it at least 80 octane or something haha.

The issue is, is the misfire and flashing CEL is the reason the previous owner had parked it, so the old gas, while obviously not doing me any favors, is 100% not the issue unfortunately.

I had considered the possibility of clogged catalytic convertersx but o2 sensors do measure catalyst effeciency, so I'd see at least o2 sensor codes, I would think. Or a catalyst effeciency code, whatever.

Those aformentioned reasons are why I initially felt so confident in it being spark related, and why I just replaced the entire ignition system-plugs, wires, and coils, all at once, and used good name brand parts. This isn't the first time, nor the second that I've done the coils/plugs/wires, and I took ny time, verified firing order, orientation of the coils, etc so I'm extremely confident I did the job right. Just feel the qind out of my sails, and don't know what to test/look at next.

Doesn't the MAF sensor throw it's own code?

Old 02-23-2024, 06:28 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,036 Posts

Are you sure you have the wires arranged correctly? If you mixed up two it will do this. You need the code reader ideally, but if the light is flashing and you have a bad miss you can diagnose it old school. Sounds like you have a dead cylinder. unpllug the spark plug wires one at a time, start truck, when you find the bad one it won't run worse. Once you find the bad one, swap the plugs with the next one and see if it gets worse. If the plug does nto do it, swap the wires. Eventually you will find the bad component.

Old 02-23-2024, 06:31 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Extinct
Are you sure you have the wires arranged correctly? If you mixed up two it will do this. You need the code reader ideally, but if the light is flashing and you have a bad miss you can diagnose it old school. Sounds like you have a dead cylinder. unpllug the spark plug wires one at a time, start truck, when you find the bad one it won't run worse. Once you find the bad one, swap the plugs with the next one and see if it gets worse. If the plug does nto do it, swap the wires. Eventually you will find the bad component.

I'm *extremely* sure I have the wires areanged correctly. I know it can get a little tricky for some people, considering they cross over on the middle cylinders (3 and 5, 4 and 6) but it is running the same as before, mostly. It's for sure running better, but still has that flashing CEL and the misfire. Going to run to my beothers house and grab my code reader, he just got off work.

Old 02-23-2024, 08:19 PM
Three Wheeling
Default Made a video to hopefully help y'all help me lol

Misfires now on 3, 6, and 4, instead of 4 and 8. Tried to record live data, but have never done that before, so it may not be especially helpful.

Old 02-24-2024, 01:31 PM
Three Wheeling

Maybe cam/crank sensors??

Old 02-24-2024, 03:55 PM
Camel Trophy

Start by swapping plug #3 with plug #5. see if misfire follows or stays. Then swap ignition wire 3 with 5. Swap plugs 4&6 with 2 and 8. Once you have 3&5 sorted swap 4&6 wires with 3&5. If that does not sort it then swap coils left to right.

Old 02-24-2024, 04:04 PM
Three Wheeling

Start by swapping plug #3 with plug #5. see if misfire follows or stays. Then swap ignition wire 3 with 5. Swap plugs 4&6 with 2 and 8. Once you have 3&5 sorted swap 4&6 wires with 3&5. If that does not sort it then swap coils left to right.

Why on earth would I do all that? Lol. All components are brand new....

Old 02-24-2024, 04:24 PM
Camel Trophy

That is the definitive is/is not troubleshooting method I use. Have had 23 D2's, but you do you.

Old 02-24-2024, 05:12 PM
Three Wheeling

That is the definitive is/is not troubleshooting method I use. Have had 23 D2's, but you do you.

I'm not doubting your methodology, just asking for a little clarification is all.

Truck got parked because of a flashing CEL and p1300, p0300, p0304, and p0308.

I purchase truck, put it new, good coils, plugs and wires. Make sure everything is right- this is my 3rd D2, and the 4th time I've done the job, so, while I clearly don't have as much experience as you, this isn't my first rodeo, and I do work on vehicles for a living, so I'm at least somewhat mechanically inclined lol.

After I i stall new parts, the codes become- p1300, p0300, p0303, p0304, p0306.

If I crossed wires or something, I's have at least 4 wonky cylinders, not 3. So while I am willing to do the work you described above, a modicum of detail and/or explaination would be very helpful. May help me, or others think of something else, or what have you. Thanks!

Old 02-24-2024, 08:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 187 Likes on 166 Posts

The way I see it, the method is trying to use known good components in order to determine which component(s) is bad. Since there are three basic ignition components (plug, wire, coil) that makes a lot of combinations to try out.

Unfortunately, even new components can be faulty. Hope this is helpful. Maybe checking compression will save some steps.

The following 2 users liked this post by JohnZo:
alw85 (04-15-2024), Helias86 (02-24-2024)

Quick Reply: Multiple misfire?