Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A "MUST Read For Anyone Repairing Either a Head Gasket or Valve Train Noise.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 03:21 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default A "MUST Read For Anyone Repairing Either a Head Gasket or Valve Train Noise.

I had this link sent to me by DiscoBob from the LRO, this morning and it is a must read for anyone looking to open up their engine for a head gasket job, valve train noise repair and all sort of other facts.
Take the time to read this, http://www.v8engines.com/engine-4.htm#pre-load

The following users liked this post:
DiscoBuckeye (08-20-2018)
Old 01-23-2011, 07:25 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im going to read this because Im on my own to try and fix my 03. But if you have time, I have a couple questions. My oil pump gear drive blew, and I am going to replace it to see how much damage has been done to my engine.I put Z MAX in the engine, twice. Once when I got the truck when I went to full syn oil, and again one thousand miles later when I changed the oil again. I bring this up because I still seem to have good compresion when I had to move it really quick, and because I dont hear any other noise exept at the front of the engine. I dont see any metal in the oil, and it never got hot. Is there ANY chance I may not have severe damage? And also, is there anywhere to get the NEW cover, or a way to extend out the existing cover to keep it off the oil pump gears? I dont have alot to work with, so I have to do what I can with what I got. Thanks for ANY help you may have to offer

Old 01-24-2011, 09:30 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by bustedknuckles
Im going to read this because Im on my own to try and fix my 03. But if you have time, I have a couple questions. My oil pump gear drive blew, and I am going to replace it to see how much damage has been done to my engine.I put Z MAX in the engine, twice. Once when I got the truck when I went to full syn oil, and again one thousand miles later when I changed the oil again. I bring this up because I still seem to have good compresion when I had to move it really quick, and because I dont hear any other noise exept at the front of the engine. I dont see any metal in the oil, and it never got hot. Is there ANY chance I may not have severe damage? And also, is there anywhere to get the NEW cover, or a way to extend out the existing cover to keep it off the oil pump gears? I dont have alot to work with, so I have to do what I can with what I got. Thanks for ANY help you may have to offer
PM me your number and I'll call you.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:57 PM
Drifting

Thanks Disco Mike. I just got back my heads and will be starting to put her back together.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:10 PM
1st Gear

hey Mike,
first of all many thanks for you help, I have successfully completed a few repairs thanks in great part to your always helpful advices.i'm as we speak immersed on a head gasket replcmt on my 01 disco II w/130k mls. i'm currently stock on removing the inlet manifold. already removed all 12 bolts in the sequence shown on the manual, even took the injectors out too, yet the manifold is not botching. it overheated once (that's why im having to do this job) is it possible the excessive heat this thing is somewhat welded in? or am i missing a bolt or nut somewhere? pls pls help.got plenty of pics if needed. thanks for your help in advance

Old 02-21-2011, 08:12 PM
Drifting

Have you removed the bolts holding the coils on the back side?

Old 03-05-2011, 08:21 PM
2nd Gear
Default Engine Ticking Noise

I've got a 2003 Discovery SE7 with 116K miles and within the last week a ticking noise started from top/bottom of the engine. Oil level was good and it does not occur when the engine is cold, only after it has warmed up (15-20min). When I trottle up to 1000-1200 rpm the ticking seems to go away. I have read about the Technical Alert for these vehicles # 031201 (oil pump failure) and my VIN falls in the range (3A792179). I have not read about anyone with my kind of mileage and there have been as many posts that say the ticking is normal for high mileage Discoverys?

My question is, since there are no engine/warning lights, performance does not seem to be diminished, no overheat etc...is there anything I can do to prevent the oil pump from failure and save the engine? Just had the oil changed today and after it warmed up the ticking came back.Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:50 AM
2nd Gear
Default Forgot to mention...

When the oil was changed yesterday, the filter was very heavy the technician said, actually had some weight to it?

Old 03-07-2011, 10:46 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't open the link....

Old 03-07-2011, 09:22 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just tried the link again, still won't open.

Quick Reply: A "MUST Read For Anyone Repairing Either a Head Gasket or Valve Train Noise.