Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang E-fan install

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 04:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Actually, no more tests. This fan fails. If it's not at least as efficient as the factory fan, its a fail. If I can't trust it in city traffic then I definitely can't trust it to keep me cool on the trails.

Old 06-02-2017, 05:22 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

The MarkVIII fan is a dual speed like the Taurus. If your controller can send a second signal at a higher temp setting, there is a way to use both speeds like the factory intended. You can run the fan on high all the time, just be aware it is relatively loud. I own a MarkVIII.

Old 06-02-2017, 05:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle

the DD controller will do two speeds, which is what i had planned. the mustang fan is dual speed as well but running high speed isnt enough apparently. i definitely dont mind the noise, its not like the factory fans are super quite lol.

Old 06-03-2017, 07:17 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

You probably are aware of the venerable Volvo relay:
Volvo 2 speed fan relay.Commonly used for two speed fans. Power in on your right, from your solenoid (ign sw triggered), Low speed trigger and high speed trigger from your controller, left side is low speed power and high speed power, depending on trigger.

Or, if you prefer typical relays:

Two speed fan relay (typical) setupThe high temp trigger will transfer power to high speed.

There are other configurations.

Old 06-05-2017, 12:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Score! There was one 1993 Lincoln Mk. Viii in any of the 10 salvage yards in town, and it still had its fan. $25 for a fan that could cool a NASA launch pad.

Will make a performance report tonight after I figure out how I'm going to mount it. But after testing it on a battery, I have no doubt it is way overkill.

Old 06-05-2017, 01:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Volvo fan

FYI, the 90's Volvo's run the same 2 speed fan as the Taurus.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-954...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by Daedrix; 06-05-2017 at 03:31 PM.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Have read lots off good things on the Taurus fan. Several of my mustang buddies use them. I believe the fan blade on the Mk. Viii fan is superior. Either one would be overkill for a disco, but this thing is a step above lol. Absolutely crazy how much air it pushes

Old 06-06-2017, 05:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Update:

The fan is awesome, the control system is not. Despite adequate wiring and solenoid, the starting amps on this thing with only one speed are heating everything up way to much.

Ive got some 6ga wire laying around that I'm going to attempt to remedy the issue with, but I'm gonna need a soft start system, preferably with several speeds. Will probably go to the yard tomorrow and attempt to find the Volvo relay as I believe it is a soft start.

Old 06-07-2017, 04:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default Final Update

ok, last night i rewired the entire power and ground circuit for the fan and solenoid with 4ga fine wire speaker cable, like you would find in a walmart subwoofer installation kit.

I wired it all the way into the factory fan plug with new terminals, so there is no choke point, 4ga all the way from the battery to the ground fan, to the ground.

I believe the 80amp solenoid is still a weak point as its getting pretty hot to the touch after several cycles, but i have a 150 continuous/300amp starting solenoid for a golf car on the way $12 on amazon. It way overkill and that's how i like it.

otherwise, this fan is freaking awesome. i cannibalized the factory shroud to maintain the mounting points for the plastic beauty cover. so the lincoln fan shroud is leaving about 3 inches of radiator uncovered on the passenger side. even with that much radiator uncovered, this fan has no problem bringing the temp down from over 200 to around 189 at idle with the AC on.

obviously i dont want the temp to swing this much so a multi-speed controller of some sort is in the near future, but the fan itself has far more cooling capability than any of the viscous fan options and any of the aftermarket e-fans under $500. In short bursts it is more efficient than the mustang fan running continuously.

Edit: for future reference on fan models. The early Lincoln Mark Viii fan, with the white female plug port on the motor, is the mac daddy of the famous ford fans. People have reported over 4000cfm with this fan. There is another unit from the later models (96-97?) That has a different plug port and a different fan blade for quieter operation. This fan also moves a bunch of air but not as much.

The Taurus/sn95 mustang unit would be considered second tier. Still very good and probably move more air than the factory viscous fans, but don't have very large shrouds so need to be modified or fitted into a factory shroud.

​​​​
​​

Mark viii fan (left) next to taurus/mustang fan (right).

Last edited by KingKoopa; 06-07-2017 at 05:43 PM.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:49 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Mark VII fan looks great!

Quick Reply: Mustang E-fan install