Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang E-fan install

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 11:43 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 965 Likes on 642 Posts

I think using the factory shroud with the mustang fan may have been part of your problem. I have no issue with the mustang shroud, even with the corner cut out as mine is (there were two styles). You have to remember that radiator coverage is not the only important factor. So is air speed across the radiator. If you increase the area, air speed decreases. I would say that's why you were getting the temp jumps and I would recommend leaving the Lincoln fan in the shroud it came in also as going to a larger area may also decrease efficiency with that fan.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:53 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
I think using the factory shroud with the mustang fan may have been part of your problem. I have no issue with the mustang shroud, even with the corner cut out as mine is (there were two styles). You have to remember that radiator coverage is not the only important factor. So is air speed across the radiator. If you increase the area, air speed decreases. I would say that's why you were getting the temp jumps and I would recommend leaving the Lincoln fan in the shroud it came in also as going to a larger area may also decrease efficiency with that fan.
You are using the earlier mustang fan correct? The one that has an actual shroud? If I'm not mistaken, the Taurus/sn95 fan is completely different that the one I used, which was from a 98-04 mustang. Different motor, blades, shroud, etc.

The one I originally used had no shroud whatsoever. Just big mounting tabs. Which is why it was so easy to trim and put in the factory shroud. Ill attach a pic.

You may be right, it didn't pull enough air to keep velocity up over such a large area, but even with the factory "shroud" it wouldnt have been enough.

I retained the mk. Viii shroud because it's so large already and I would have had a hell of a time trying to fit the massive fan in the factory rover shroud. This is the fan i started with. There's a reason the new edge mustang guys ditch them in favor of the earlier models lol.

Old 06-08-2017, 01:08 PM
Camel Trophy

Oh wow, that's definitely not the same as the fan I used. I used the 94-96 model fan. This one: Radiator Cooling Fan For 94-96 Ford Mustang | eBay

I even have a new edge, but honestly I've never looked that close. She's parked till I can rebuild the engine/trans, replace the convertible top, and have it painted. It's the car I drove in highschool till I got the Rover. Was that fan even used in the GT?

Old 06-08-2017, 01:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Yeah I believe the v6 and gt all got the same fan, not sure if the DOHC cars got it. Would be really surprised if they used it in the terminators.

I didn't do any research on this particular fan before my friend picked it up, I was hoping that it was the same fan as the earlier model minus the functional shroud. Turns out that wasn't the case lol.

My first car was a MINT 96 GT. Bright Rio red. Tan and black interior. Absolutely pristine car... totalled it lol. Drove a 94 Lightning all through highschool until recently.

Old 06-08-2017, 01:54 PM
Camel Trophy

Not sure if this will work or not, but here's mine just before she stretched a rod at 186k miles. Bright yellow convertible GT, manual transmission, frame stiffeners, 4.10 gears. I loved that car. She would burn tires through third and chirp into 4th if you hit her just right.

Somehow I never even got my first ticket until THREE DAYS after I got my Land Rover after I'd been driving this for over a year. I also somehow never put a ding on it.

Edit 2: Well that worked in a weird way...

Edit: It didn't work. Here's the direct link:
View this post on Instagram

Last edited by Alex_M; 06-08-2017 at 01:56 PM.
Old 06-08-2017, 02:01 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Did this turn into a Mustang Forum? Come one guys!

Just kidding. The Mustangs look like fun.

Old 06-08-2017, 07:48 PM
Camel Trophy

Haha, pony car take over.

Atleast they still have american 4.6 V8 power plants like our discos. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯