Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 2001 Disco declared a "total loss"....need some helpful opinions

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 03:27 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question My 2001 Disco declared a "total loss"....need some helpful opinions

Hi all,

I usually "lurk" on these boards, but I've taken to posting a bit more lately.

OK, I owned a 1999 Series II SE originally. Moved up (to avoid problems I saw coming, 3 Amigos, temp issues....) to a 2001 Series II SE with no problems (at the time). While I owned it, I replaced my window regulator with help from some of you folks, windshield wiper motor, wiper arms (Series I arms made wiper changing a snap!) as well as some other repairs.

I was looking on ebay prior to black Friday and some internet sights over Black Friday/Cyber Monday, as I needed new brakes all around, rear rotors, and wanted to upgrade my bouncy suspension. With the sales, I got brakes, rotors, and decided, after much thought, to purchase Bilstein shocks & steering damper (wasn't going to spend the extra for Bilstein, but sales made the price difference do-able). I was also going to pick up recommended Silent Armour tires on the 15th (next payday) as my tires were in need of replacing too.

Well, I wish I had moved a little more quickly on them; on Friday, a woman stopped for a yellow light in front of me, I tapped, then slammed on the brakes realizing I was closing in quickly, to no avail. I hit her. And, due to the cost to repair, as opposed to book value, on my beloved Disco, the insurance company called today to let me know they are declaring it a total loss. My new Bilstein's and brakes and rotors are here, and I would have installed them this weekend.... I will be more pro-active on my next one, but this has been a rough year personally and financially.

So, I plan on getting another Disco. I spent the weekend pondering cars I may like (couldn't find any) and other possible SUV's (only ones that made my list were Jeep Grand Cherokee or Isuzu VehiCross, based on looks only and not reviews).

But, always came back to "my Disco gets crap mileage, is expensive to repair, is quirky.... and I love it"

So, I've had a 1999 SE, a 2001 SE, and was pondering a 2003 for my next one, just because I like the restyling of the headlights.

Now, just quickly browsing the boards, I'm learning that I may have more probs with an 03 or 04, over a 1999-2002.

Can anyone help me out? Personal opinions and experiences are welcomed, as an 04 or earlier will probably be my budgetary limit after I get my butt kicked by my insurance company's payout and my pitiful savings.

What year(s) would you suggest? I of course will look for one with "lower" mileage and service records....I just need some help reigning in what year(s) I should consider.

Oh, I also just bought replacement boots to match my seats (tan with cognac piping) for both my transfer case and E Brake..... I really was going to get it in great mechanical and cosmetic shape! It just took a smidge too long, I guess. Bummer. Maybe they'll match the next one I get!

Thanks for the help!

Old 12-07-2011, 03:43 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

What are you going to use it for, will you be modifying it?
Some 03's had engine issues because of failing oil pumps/engines, so check with the dealer using the vin of any 03 to make sure you are not buying one.
If you plan on a lot of wheeling I would suggest the 04.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:03 PM
Mudding

Mike,

You're always a huge help, so I value your opinion. My original plan was to use it as my daily driver, and purchase a mid-90's Range Rover next summer, and then use one as my daily driver, one for off-road use. That plan may have just hit yet another delay.... as now I'll have to shell out some $$ to purchase another Disco. Grrrr...two steps forward, one step back these past few years.

So, for now, it will be my daily driver, and get very little off road use.

That said, I live in Bucks Cty, PA, out in the boonies, and we have some treacherous winding, narrow, mountainous roads that I wouldn't attempt without at least a 4WD, and with all the snow last winter, and rain/flooding this year, I used my hill descent at least 6 times just to get out to the main roads.

Until I have a 2nd vehicle as a daily driver, I won' be modifying the Disco, and even then probably just a lift/rubber/lights, and some "cosmetic" stuff....cosmetic for me, anyway, ladder/basket/bull bar.

So, how do I know the "bad" '03's? Is there a particular VIN run I should avoid?

Given it's my daily driver, what year, in your opinion, would be the most dependable, from 1999-2004?

I just want to make every attempt to get the right one.... I know none are perfect, and I could end up needing an engine replaced in any model year....I'm just trying to use other people's knowledge & experience to try my best to avoid that scenario as much as possible!

Thanks all

Old 12-07-2011, 04:19 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 12-07-2011, 04:38 PM
Mudding

Thanks, very helpful info on the 2003 in that link.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The late 2003 and 04 would be fine. If I was buying I would get an 04. Price difference is small. As always, try to find one with the head gaskets already done, no signs of prior severe overheating, etc. In addition, make sure your bits and pieces will fit. So, if you had the regular (Non ACE, Non air) suspension, look for the same (although, you would LOVE the ACE if you have twisty roads).
Otherwise, just browse around on Cars.com and you will find a bunch of them, many with links to free Carfax (do not buy anything without one).
Also, did you ask your insurance company what the buy back would be? If it is minor, and you can get someone to do the work for a good price, it might be a good option. Only downside is that you would have a salvage title, so selling it down the road would be more difficult, but if you could buy it back for like $1,500 and put maybe $3,000 into it, would it be worth it?

Old 12-07-2011, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Other than engine problems, which have probably already been fixed, the 2003 is a great year. It's missing CDL, but so are the 2002. Pretty much everything else is the same from 1999-2004, other than cosmetic stuff like lights and interior colors.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

The 2003 gets a bad rep. But if it has made it this long say to 70 to 90k which most are about now the oil pump will slowly degrade into pieces not just blow up. I have a oil pressure gauge in my 03. That is the key, have the oil pressure guage. I have seen my oil pressure slighty drop by 2 psi at warm idle over the fall. Never the oil light. Just means the gear is probably cracked and needs replacing. Its on my list for next week, with water pump and timing chain. Mine is in the death VIN range, but has been great with meticulous maintenance at 103,283 miles.

Last edited by bosshogt; 12-07-2011 at 06:57 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:58 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Craigslist is your friend my friend. YOu can find Disco's on craigslist that need a little tlc, but you can still daily them while getting stuff fixed.

Old 12-19-2011, 03:56 PM
Mudding

Just wanted to update everyone who helped me in deciding. I am picking up a 2004 SE in gold with black interior, 80k miles. Has full service history, and was able to get it for about $500 below private party VG condition book value, which is about $2000 below dealer Excellent Condition book value, so I feel good about it.

Only issue is a horn button is missing...I see it's not the only one missing in Discovery's, although it may one of the few problems I haven't encountered before, so if anyone has an extra hanging around, I'm happy to pay for one!

I appreciate all the input.

Quick Reply: My 2001 Disco declared a "total loss"....need some helpful opinions