Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 2001 Disco declared a "total loss"....need some helpful opinions

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 06:42 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Do you still have access to your old truck?

Old 12-28-2011, 05:17 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Marni
Hi all,

I usually "lurk" on these boards, but I've taken to posting a bit more lately.

OK, I owned a 1999 Series II SE originally. Moved up (to avoid problems I saw coming, 3 Amigos, temp issues....) to a 2001 Series II SE with no problems (at the time). While I owned it, I replaced my window regulator with help from some of you folks, windshield wiper motor, wiper arms (Series I arms made wiper changing a snap!) as well as some other repairs.

I was looking on ebay prior to black Friday and some internet sights over Black Friday/Cyber Monday, as I needed new brakes all around, rear rotors, and wanted to upgrade my bouncy suspension. With the sales, I got brakes, rotors, and decided, after much thought, to purchase Bilstein shocks & steering damper (wasn't going to spend the extra for Bilstein, but sales made the price difference do-able). I was also going to pick up recommended Silent Armour tires on the 15th (next payday) as my tires were in need of replacing too.

Well, I wish I had moved a little more quickly on them; on Friday, a woman stopped for a yellow light in front of me, I tapped, then slammed on the brakes realizing I was closing in quickly, to no avail. I hit her. And, due to the cost to repair, as opposed to book value, on my beloved Disco, the insurance company called today to let me know they are declaring it a total loss. My new Bilstein's and brakes and rotors are here, and I would have installed them this weekend.... I will be more pro-active on my next one, but this has been a rough year personally and financially.

So, I plan on getting another Disco. I spent the weekend pondering cars I may like (couldn't find any) and other possible SUV's (only ones that made my list were Jeep Grand Cherokee or Isuzu VehiCross, based on looks only and not reviews).

But, always came back to "my Disco gets crap mileage, is expensive to repair, is quirky.... and I love it"

So, I've had a 1999 SE, a 2001 SE, and was pondering a 2003 for my next one, just because I like the restyling of the headlights.

Now, just quickly browsing the boards, I'm learning that I may have more probs with an 03 or 04, over a 1999-2002.

Can anyone help me out? Personal opinions and experiences are welcomed, as an 04 or earlier will probably be my budgetary limit after I get my butt kicked by my insurance company's payout and my pitiful savings.

What year(s) would you suggest? I of course will look for one with "lower" mileage and service records....I just need some help reigning in what year(s) I should consider.

Oh, I also just bought replacement boots to match my seats (tan with cognac piping) for both my transfer case and E Brake..... I really was going to get it in great mechanical and cosmetic shape! It just took a smidge too long, I guess. Bummer. Maybe they'll match the next one I get!

Thanks for the help!
I just got a 1999 Disco with 226,000 millas. However, the motor is brand new, factory installed by LR. Prev owner had an extended warranty and it overheated and warped.
I live in Boston, had this Texas Truck shipped to me. SO solid and squeeky clean new motor. $6K, and another $4k for it to be perfect. I feel $10K was well worth it and expect a 15 year trouble free local commuter, T@B camper puller. I would feel sour putting all that money back in to a new project, but I do love the vehicle and probably would.