Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Catalytic converter might be going

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 11:17 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Default My Catalytic converter might be going

Truck has been driving rough lately, especially on the highway. Its difficult to get the truck past 60 mph even with the gas pedal pressed to the floor. Ive had other symptoms as well. Loss of power all around, especially when traveling up steep hills, and rpm meter running a tab bit higher than normal lately. Did a lot of google searching and came back with the possibility that my cat is going. Im getting codes as well but Ive already posted them in a couple threads. I have an appointment with DAP soon but I just wondering where I might find a more affordable converter..... usually Atlantic British has the best prices but their cat is going for $700! Land Rover Catalytic Converter Y Pipe (Same Fit As Genuine Part # WCD105870) For Discovery II

I dont know much about exhaust systems so Im wondering how many cats my truck has and Im wondering why AB is selling the cats complete with the y pipe? Is the y pipe part of the cat in that you have to replace the entire thing?

Im hoping someone knows of a more affordable option to replacing the cats.... still not fully sure if thats the problem but I want to be prepared in the event that it is the issue.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

What were your codes? I'd hit up Paul Grant for a cat. A guy on this forum was willing to part ways with one for free that he had from some parts trucks just to help me out. Screw $700.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:00 AM
TReK

I prefer new if possible as I wish to keep my truck in optimal running condition. A used cat is a ticking time bomb I think. I actually just looked on rockauto and they have 3 more affordable options so if my cat is the problem Ill likely order through them. Cant believe how much these things cost in general though. and in the state of California and NY apparently you cannot use aftermarket cats so I feel for those who must by law pay top dollar for genuine cats! Especially on a Land Rover! Dam.....

Old 01-04-2014, 12:18 AM
TReK
Received 653 Likes on 559 Posts

Your rig has 2 CATS and they are sold complete as the "Y" assembly.

I have this and it works spot on

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mp...odel/discovery

Old 01-04-2014, 12:57 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

You can't legally buy used cats anyways, but that's far less than the $3000 genuine part.

Hit me up via email and I'll get you the cheapest price on a new version.

It may not be your cats though, you'll get a code for bad cats.

It may be your new bigger tires and bad winter gas.

Old 01-04-2014, 05:14 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
You can't legally buy used cats anyways, but that's far less than the $3000 genuine part.

Hit me up via email and I'll get you the cheapest price on a new version.

It may not be your cats though, you'll get a code for bad cats.

I wont know for sure if its the cats gone bad until I take the truck to DAP. Gonna have them investigate the codes, do engine compression test, investigate the vss and the cats and see where I'm at.

You really think the larger tires would cause some of my recent symptoms? Theres not even any aggressive tread on them. I mean they are good tires, and plenty thickness left but they are a highway tire, not like the beefy types. Plus they are a down grade from my 18's so I half expected my vehicles driving performance to have increased slightly.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:21 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
I dunno about tires because this part...

Its difficult to get the truck past 60 mph even with the gas pedal pressed to the floor.
...would only result from some really monstrous tires.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:36 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

You'll get codes if the cat is going.
No codes, don't worry about it.

No power - you will get codes.

Plug in a scanner and look for pending codes.
There is no way the truck will limp up hills at full pedal down and you don't
"earn" a few codes.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:55 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by jfall
You'll get codes if the cat is going.
No codes, don't worry about it.

No power - you will get codes.

Plug in a scanner and look for pending codes.
There is no way the truck will limp up hills at full pedal down and you don't
"earn" a few codes.

As mentioned at the very top I do have codes but I have already posted them on this forum. Pending codes: P0501, P0150, P1171, P1174. Check engine code: P1415. Cats aside I also have a leak on the side of my muffler silencer (# 3): Discovery II Exhaust Pipe, Hanger, Muffler - Rovers North - Classic Land Rover Parts .

Ive heard that the muffler leak might be a easy fix if I bring it to the right place. What about the cats? Information I gathered suggested a clogged cat. Can these been cleaned out unclogged? I know that if and when I learn that the cats are bad or burnt out, that I need to also determine what made them go bad. Ive heard that running to lean or burning a lot of oil can wreck havoc on the cats. Either way its beginning to seem as though I need to replace the entire exhaust system.......

Old 01-04-2014, 01:55 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by pinkytoe69
I dunno about tires because this part...

...would only result from some really monstrous tires.
I didn't know if it was an exaggeration or not.

Julian, what size are your new tires? I thought they were a good deal larger than your previous ones.

Quick Reply: My Catalytic converter might be going