Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Catalytic converter might be going

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 11:45 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoRover007
Well according to your codes you have one related to the speed sensor(P0501). The others are for O2 sensor emission codes. I would look into replacing those first before an undertaking like cat replacement.

Did you check these threads?

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...1-59743/page2/

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...es-light-6534/

The hesitation I mentioned is not really relevant because so far its only happened once MAYBE twice since Ive owned the vehicle and both times only when it was a couple degrees below zero. Most of the time she starts up fine even when really cold out.

Previous owner had at least 1 02 sensor replaced, possibly more? The records are not specific unfortunately.

Right now theres not much more I can do until January 23 when I bring it to DAP to have it thoroughly looked over and tested. Just talked to them today about getting the fuel system and exhaust tested, engine compression test plus a test drive on the highway and on a steep hill so they can determine if the vehicle is acting up or being normal. Cross my fingers nothing goes wrong before then. But Yeah I hope its really just bad 02 sensors, if so I will replace all 4 of those buggers!

Old 01-12-2014, 03:06 PM
Winching
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Im still not ruling out cats as the problem. My google search found many stories of people experiencing same symptons with their vehicle not exceeding past 60 mph on the highway. Cats fixed their problems in some cases. But when I go to DAP I will have them do the compression test. Is there anything else I should have them check in regards to the engine while its there? Be it not tearing my engine apart.....
I'm going to inject here and put in 1.5c ... I too have had long time cat code that would not go away... Also occasionally weird borla exhaust sound from SAI pump... And bad gas mileage ... Also 70mph was a strain... Everyone suspected bad cat for most part even me... But that sound was so annoying I started looking for vacuum leaks and found when I unplugged passenger side line to vacuum reservoir on SAI then all codes went away and gas mileage increased including power... Now 70mph is easy... I haven't heard many solutions except maybe a check valve someplace but as of 2 months my 03 D2 has ran better than it did in 2 years... Just food for thought... I only got that one code for bank 2 CAT

Last edited by dparham; 01-12-2014 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Atrocious spelling
Old 07-01-2014, 12:55 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having the same problem and wondering if there was ever a resolution to this.

Old 05-08-2015, 02:04 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me too.

Old 11-30-2019, 02:24 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad cat

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Premium fuel always used and I pour in a bottle of fuel injector cleaner once a month. No real problems during startup, though if it gets really REALLY cold then there is slight hesitation for an extra 2 seconds but she always starts right up. Ive read your cigar thread and I have a cigar in my glovebox waiting to be lit for the smoke test, just been to dam cold to do anything lately. I do not know the capabilities of DAP but hopfully they can perform the fuel test as well. hate to have to go to different shops for a simple test but will do what needs to be done.

Have not noticed any fluid leaks either. Coolant is good, oil is good ever since I tightened the valve cover bolts as suggested on this forum. No oil light. No sporadic idling etc.

Hi

Just wondering what was the solution for your case ?

It seems i have the symptoms

Thanks