Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My custom bumper!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 07:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I do have plans and I could easily explain to you how to make it with some drawings. It is very basic but some little tricks make it all the better. I would assume you would want a bolt on/off version rather than my welded on version (I only did this because my frame lacked structural integrity in the front after the accident).

Also the total cost of materials was about $450 after going through gas, grinding disks and so on(this also includes the price of the half built first bumper so realistically about $350). Took a few days to make spread over a long period of time.

Totally worth it.

I can't wait to get a winch and some lights that match it.

And just a stupid moment but I forgot to add a place for the license plate (which is required out here in Cali). Oh well.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:38 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, great, I'd like to pm you when I get closer to making this happen. I will have a guy I often use weld it for me. No time and room for error to make this my first weld.

I'd like to make it as streamlined as possible. Maybe a little less deep than yours.
I'm 99% sure I will never use a winch on this vehicle. It would be nice if I could do an easy mod in case I ever changed my mind.

I'll use headlight guards in front as well.

I did this drawing a while back. I would change a lot of things on it now.

Attached Thumbnails My custom bumper!-bumper.jpg  
Old 06-10-2012, 03:55 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

feel free to PM me any time. That drawing is a great start! I would make that front section half as tall and take it at an angle going back, less likely to get caught up on everything. Also you will find that the stock grille goes a few inches lower (on the D2) than the plastic trim pieces under the lights (making an annoying bump that you need to work around to keep stock parts)

By any chance have you removed you front bumper before? It is quite easy and you will see what you will be building on to.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:08 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great. You could sell those and for what ARB and others get for bumpers, make a good living at it. Yours looks as good as any of the others I have seen.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:24 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slanginsanjuan
OK, great, I'd like to pm you when I get closer to making this happen. I will have a guy I often use weld it for me. No time and room for error to make this my first weld.

I'd like to make it as streamlined as possible. Maybe a little less deep than yours.
I'm 99% sure I will never use a winch on this vehicle. It would be nice if I could do an easy mod in case I ever changed my mind.

I'll use headlight guards in front as well.

I did this drawing a while back. I would change a lot of things on it now.
What program are you using and where did you find the disco line drawing?

Old 06-12-2012, 06:48 AM
Pro Wrench

i used sketchup (google) and they have a repository of drawings you can use in your drawings. if you can't find it pm me and ill look for you and send it. first download the sketchup.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:48 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by FlyingZebra34
feel free to PM me any time. That drawing is a great start! I would make that front section half as tall and take it at an angle going back, less likely to get caught up on everything. Also you will find that the stock grille goes a few inches lower (on the D2) than the plastic trim pieces under the lights (making an annoying bump that you need to work around to keep stock parts)

By any chance have you removed you front bumper before? It is quite easy and you will see what you will be building on to.
yeah...had no idea of what an approach angle was and other important tidbits when i drew that out. it's super easy to make changes so i will when i get to it.