Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'99 DII Shift Strategy Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 11:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts
Default '99 DII Shift Strategy Questions

Hey all,

This is less of a concern, and more of a "is it supposed to be like this" sorta thread.

I've had my Disco II for all of a month now, and have put about 1000 miles on it. The shift strategy, even in sport mode, is pretty conservative off the line. At part throttle, say 50%, this thing is in 4th gear like before 40MPH.

In sport mode, if I floor it, it will hold the gear for the rev range, and if I accelerate at speed it will downshift sooner and stay in the gear longer than it would in normal mode.

I'm working my way through Paul's list as time permits, so far I've done fluid changes on the diffs, transfer case, engine oil, and did a filter and fluid change on the transmission. No change in shift strategy or quality yet.

I still have to get to the brake fluid flush (nice to know there's a name for the weak brake pedal, the Disco 2 step, sounds like a dance move), and coolant flush (no leaks or loss, knock on wood).

I'm ok with this if this is just how the shifting is, but if it's a learned strategy from a previous owner, it'd be great to start from scratch. Or if it's something more sinister, at least be ready to deal with it.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:33 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where is the question here?

yes that is the way sport mode works.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle

The shift strategy... should it shift so quickly into 4th gear from a standstill? Regardless of sport or normal mode, it's in 4th gear before or at 40MPH at part throttle. I'm used to the gears holding a little longer before shifting in other automatic cars I've driven (ie. our '99 Cherokee).

Old 06-12-2012, 06:08 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

yes it is correct that is to get you into OD as soon as possible (more MPG), the older units did not shift into OD until around 50, my RRC very really shifts into OD in the city.

BTW sport mode will drop you milage to laughable

Old 06-12-2012, 07:23 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

If you want more specific information on your truck, down load a free copy of the Rave CD, shop manual, listed in my signature section.
Who is Paul?
Did you fill the tranny twice, once with the engine off and the second time with the engine running?
Your tranny is controlled by it's own computer and there are no adjustments.
As for your brakes, D2's have a soft pedal, if you replace the old warn out rubber brake hoses, switching to stainless steel it will help then do a full 2 quart DOT 4 flush.
Don't waste your time doing a coolant flush, if you have over 100,000 miles on the radiator, it is pretty restricted and can't be cleaned, replace it along with the t/stat, coolant pressure cap and switch to a green coolant if it hasn't been done yet.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:42 AM
Recovery Vehicle

lol, Mike I meant your list. I get parts from Paul. Sorry, it was late, got you two confused.

I filled the transmission per the Rave manual's recommendation. If the shift strategy is normal, no worries.

Thanks for the recommendation of replacing the radiator rather than flushing. It'll be 100k by the time I get around to it.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:59 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

There are also some better t/stats on the market that will help your engine run cooler by a good 12 degrees, that you might want to consider.