Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My DII Leaks this much per week (picture)

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 02:43 PM
Winching
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default My DII Leaks this much per week (picture)

This concrete was clean before the rover was parked here for 7 days. Is this amount above average? Heavy? Not too bad? Thanks for your input.

Name:  leak_zps62599b17.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  69.7 KB

Old 03-08-2013, 02:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Not too bad, seriously? You have a problem.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:08 PM
Winching

Haha I know but with all the joking around here about buying a bag of kitty litter with every LR, I was wondering how bad excessive really is..

Old 03-08-2013, 04:16 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much is on your engine/frame/etc ? If there's that much from being static there for a week, Then It's probably leaking pretty good..
How often do you have to put oil in it ? A quart of oil is a hell of a puddle so I wouldn't be worried ...

You might want to crawl around on it and tighten some bolts here and there..

John

Old 03-08-2013, 04:51 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandrew
This concrete was clean before the rover was parked here for 7 days. Is this amount above average? Heavy? Not too bad? Thanks for your input.

I would tolerate that leak. Just check fluids often till you figure out how mutch is being lost. If your like my old Suzuki it leaked like that it lost about a qt every 700 miles

Old 03-08-2013, 08:14 PM
Winching

Thanks for the reply's. I've only owned the car for one week so I have not had to add any oil as the dip stick is still reading fine. I'm going to tighten things up a bit down there but I suspect some of this is from the rear main seal. I'll see if some White Sheppard will help.

One thing I'm unfamiliar with is the four drops under the middle of the car. I think those are coming from the Transfer case and I don't see an easy way to monitor that fluid level other than the filler plug?? Have any of you check the transfer case fluid level? Is it a PITA?

Old 03-08-2013, 08:15 PM
Winching

A picture:

Name:  AVA_3161_zps7a5b97c6.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  67.5 KB

Old 03-08-2013, 10:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandrew
Thanks for the reply's. I've only owned the car for one week so I have not had to add any oil as the dip stick is still reading fine. I'm going to tighten things up a bit down there but I suspect some of this is from the rear main seal. I'll see if some White Sheppard will help.

One thing I'm unfamiliar with is the four drops under the middle of the car. I think those are coming from the Transfer case and I don't see an easy way to monitor that fluid level other than the filler plug?? Have any of you check the transfer case fluid level? Is it a PITA?
You check the transfer case, axles, and transmission by removing the fill plug and filling them until a bead of fluid runs out.

Also, you don't "tolerate" any leak. If it's leaking, it needs to be fixed. Clearly what you have is not an urgent matter however.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:21 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

X2 on it being possible to be more than engine oil. You can have engine oil flug out under speed and drip off of things when parked. Differentials, axles, transfer case, transmission, etc. can also have leaks.

Bad thing about stuff on the bottom side is you can't tell how long it has been leaking and how much is still in there. If there is none under it there's none in it.

However, you can usually afford to add fluid while you wait for time and treasure to fix something. You can delay some repairs on the bottom side by going back with heavier fluid (85W150), and White Shepherd oil leak stop.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:06 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I look at leaks as a benefit, we live on a gravel drive and the oil helps keep the dust level down in the summer. An oil leak that far forward taking into account how oil migrates towards the back of the car, I think there is a pretty good chance its the crank shaft seal and probably slinging all over the place.

Quick Reply: My DII Leaks this much per week (picture)