Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My DII only drives in reverse,,,

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 01:46 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question My DII only drives in reverse,,,

Hello fellow LR owners, I've just recently bought a 2002 discovery II with 124k. All was well until a few weeks ago it stopped driving when I was on the road. The RPMs shot up but it did not go anywhere in any gear. I came to find out my AT cooler hose disconnected on the radiator end. I reconnected the hose and was able to drive home. A week later I was on the road when the same deal happened where the RPMs shot up but this time the hose wasn't disconnected and I'm sure there was no leak as I was checking it several times a day. The engine felt hot but my temp gauge wasn't high. Since then I've had it towed back home and I've added a few quarts of DexIII ATF. It turns on fine and drives in reverse but doesn't budge in any other gear when I give it gas. When I hit the gas in any other gear the RPMs shoot up and then the service engine soon light comes on and the M and S lights flash. Does anybody have any suggestions as to what I should try next?

Old 10-15-2010, 06:56 AM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What codes are you getting? May just be the TCM has gone bad.

Eric

Old 10-15-2010, 08:32 AM
4th Gear

I haven't gotten any codes yet. What's TCM?

Old 10-15-2010, 09:08 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

After blowing the hose, the first time, did you refill the tranny before driving home, if not you most likely fried it. When home, did you follow Rovers directions on how to drain and refill or add ATF?
Start your engine, leave the tranny running and go check the fluid level thru the side fill plug. Is the oil burned/brown, when pulling the fill plug, does fluid come out, if not you are low and will need more fluid.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:43 AM
4th Gear

Afterer blowing the hose the first time I did add tranny fluid but I poured it back down the disconnected hose, I was only able to get about a quart and a half that way. Yes, once I got home, I followed the rover instructions on how to add ATF but I did not drain any. Should I have? After I filled it with ATF I turned it on and let it sit for a while then ran through all the gears a few seconds at a time. I undid the check/fill plug after I ran it a while and a steady stream came out so I assumed it was full but I also thought that was weird because I figured I would've lost a lot more than 5.5 quarts when the hose disconnected initially. I don't remember if the fluid that came out was dark brown or not, I'll check once I get home today. Thanks,

Old 10-16-2010, 07:14 PM
4th Gear

So I pulled my check/fill plug and nothing came out so I added 2 more quarts of ATF. It still only drives in reverse... I'm wondering if there's some sort of auto shut down switch for the tranny that needs to be reset?

Old 10-17-2010, 07:19 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

You have some sort of damage to the tranny, I would suggest you contact a local tranny shop and ask them if they can check and rebuild if necessary.
No there is no reset. Do you have a check engine light on, if so you will need to get the codes read. You can rent a scanner to read the codes at home.