Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sold the 2 D1's bought a DII that only goes in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 12:21 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sold the 2 D1's bought a DII that only goes in reverse

Well, my month old 95' D1 commited suicide by eating a oak tree after rolling off my driveway. I sold my 3 week old 96' D1 today.

And... I picked up a 1999 D2 yesterday! But, she won't drive forward. Reverse works. According to the PO, he went out after it sat for a month or so and it wouldn't go forward. His story is the local shop said some sort of module on the top side of the tranny is common to go out that runs about $200. I bought the truck knowing worst case I need a tranny.

Any suggestions on troubleshooting the issue? All the lights are illuminated on the cluster and I see some "custom" added fuses under the dash. This could get scary...

Old 08-01-2011, 06:15 AM
Three Wheeling

I read about the xyz switch after I posted this. Looks like a good place to start. Maybe that's what the PO's shop was talking about.

Also, I'll pull some codes with my scanner. I've been working with Fords lately so I'm use to having crazy Ford only PID's so I assumed I couldn't see anything past basic codes on this Disco...

Old 08-01-2011, 07:38 AM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

the other thing to go and try is to drop the tranny pan dump the fluid and change out the filter. re-fill and try with fresh fluid.. it may seem to simple but if the truck had been sitting for awhile with minimal service..... heck you need to do that anyway along with MIKES major service.. good luck. keep us posted

Old 08-01-2011, 07:39 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 822 Likes on 599 Posts

If it is the XYZ switch they have gotten crazy expensive ($600+). The one I bought new a few years ago was $200+. The rover recyclers on this forum will sell you one for ~$100 and warrant them for a year. Installation is not difficult.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:02 PM
Three Wheeling

Here's the scoop. I checked the cluster and I see the indicator change from R, N, D, etc. So, I'm assuming the XYZ switch works.

I pulled the tranny drain plug and about a quart of fluid came out. That's it. I noticed a nice puddle that had started where the trucks been parked. Plus to my surprise, JB weld! It appears that the front drive shaft came apart at the ujoint and slapped everything it could. I see marks above the joint on the floorpan and that's the area banged up on the tranny side and pan. I don't know what a healthy tranny and pan look like so I'm not certain why someone goo'ed above the pan. I'm hoping the pan was bent and not sealing so this was the mickey mouse fix. I called the PO and he didn't have a clue. I will give him credit that he had a dirt driveway and maybe didn't notice the leak. He did say he had a place check the fluid about 4 months ago since he didn't have a dipstick (owned it about a years time). I put less than a gallon of fluid and it started spilling out the fill plug. I started it up, moved through the gears, turned it off and topped the fluid. I realize now that it should have been running on top off. I'll do that tomorrow.

Here's what I can tell with the tranny:

-was low on fluid.
-reverse works.
-low/high seems to work properly. if i go to high and select drive, motor wants to bog out.
-the car will slowly creep forward in drive. like it barley pulls on flat ground.
-i hear relay type clicking noise down by my left leg. for some reason there's homemade wires/fuses around that area.
-i noticed while messing with high/low, different gears, etc the mode m&s flash along with the gear illumination on the gear shift cluster and lever.

thoughts? thanks for the help. i still love my truck on day 2 of ownership.

Last edited by hallfleming; 08-02-2011 at 12:25 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:30 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

It won't be the XYZ so don't spend the money there.
Do you have any fault code numbers, if so what are they, I can't read what you pictured very clearly.
Drop the pan, looking at the quality of the fluid, color and smell alos looking for any surprises in the pan.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:24 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for the response Mike. I resized the trouble code screenshots. Does that help?

I went to a local Land Rover service guys place and looked at his trucks. He looked at what I posted above. His first comment was that the wrong front drive shaft appears to be installed. Cool. Add that to the list.

Last edited by hallfleming; 08-02-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:24 PM
Three Wheeling

Update: I just got around 2 more quarts in the tranny while running. Still no go forward. I checked the voltage at the battery. While at idle, I'm seeing 11.77. Plus the negative wire going to the battery wasn't attached to the chassis ground point behind the battery box. Maybe I'm chasing multiple issues. So what's the tranny computer act like with not enough voltage or bad ground?

Old 08-02-2011, 04:28 PM
Three Wheeling

Another update. It's leaking like crazy after I topped it off. Pans coming off tonight so I can check the damage at the leak. I've got a buddy who can weld the tranny case and found a good pan. I just wish that it started driving after I filled it up. Oh well...

Old 08-02-2011, 06:53 PM
Three Wheeling

Well. It's more than a bad pan. Actually, the pan looks fine. It's the tranny that took a hit. At first site, I thought maybe it was just cracked. Nope. A chunk came out. Not sure if I could even have a buddy weld that in the truck it's so big and hard to reach. I'll probably pull the tranny, see if we can fix it and at the least replace the clutch plates. Hope this inspires somebody.

Quick Reply: Sold the 2 D1's bought a DII that only goes in reverse