Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Disco may be totaled, what should I do

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 10:54 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Disco may be totaled, what should I do

On April 23, I had a deer run into the side of my 98 Disco, at first the body shop and the insurance were both on the same page and saying to fix it even though it was $5200 in damage. Now, after two weeks they are saying its totaled. It drives fine, its the passenger door and back quater panel, no glass was broken. I dont know if I really want to look for another one, but should i just drive it like it is or take the money from insurance and get another one.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:22 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BullittDisco
On April 23, I had a deer run into the side of my 98 Disco, at first the body shop and the insurance were both on the same page and saying to fix it even though it was $5200 in damage. Now, after two weeks they are saying its totaled. It drives fine, its the passenger door and back quater panel, no glass was broken. I dont know if I really want to look for another one, but should i just drive it like it is or take the money from insurance and get another one.
Often, the insurance co will settle & you keep the car.

Call them, see what your options are.

Then talk to several bodyshops, see what they will actually do for cash.

You can get the doors easilly, did the deer bend the door frame? will it open and close?

body parts are the same from at least 94--99.5 model years.

You could buy a used door, quarter panel for a few hundred, $500 - $800 to install, touch up, you're on the road.

luck,greg

Old 05-09-2010, 11:24 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

let them total it,

get the vehicle back as salvaged

get new discovery also

remove ALL doors from totaled discovery

Now have a special trail rig.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:41 AM
Overlanding

The both doors are fine, the only thing that stopped working was the blinker light on the fender, but when I dropped it off at the body shop it was working again. I have a LR3 also, but the 98 was the true trail truck, I might just end up keeping it, and that way I really I dont have to worry about bumps and bruises she might get on the trail

Old 05-10-2010, 09:51 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

If you like the truck well enough and you think you can fix/live with it, then let hem total it and then buy it back for a lot less.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:54 AM
8th Gear

Well if you got a LR3 then I would just take the cash from the insurance co and keep her as a trail rig....The only thing about that is, wil the title still be clear?
Good luck with her

Old 05-10-2010, 10:10 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it's a 98 and his true trail rig, then I wouldn't worry about the title because chances are that he will keep it till the wheels fall off (i.e., forever.) In the end (several years and trails down the road) he can part it regardless of title status.

Just my 2c.

-Anthony

Old 05-11-2010, 02:03 PM
Overlanding

Well here in Georgia, if its totaled you can buy it back but you have to have it fixed. The state takes your tag, title and registration. It takes about 6 months to have it done. Total loss pay out is $6700 and then i could have bought it for $780, and there was right at $6000 worth of damage, so I am just going to look for another one. The state at any point can say no to letting it back on the road and then I am out the money. Thanks for everyones input, I hate so see another Disco go, but if I find that deer we are gonna have words. I am glad no one in the car was hurt, and at least I still have a LR3 to drive until I get another Disco. Thanks everybody

Old 05-11-2010, 03:22 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

disco's are a dime a dozen on ebay and CL

if you had any mods to the truck take them off and then pick up another.... a 1998 disco in prefect shape isnt worth more than 5k..... so i would get another with the cash....after a accident the vehicle just isnt the same.... atleast thats the way it was with my disco after the fire

Old 05-11-2010, 05:19 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

for $780 I'm sure someone would buy it just for the drivetrain, or as a trail rig. I would buy it back just for a parts truck then use the rest of the cash to buy a new one.

Last edited by tweakrover; 05-11-2010 at 05:22 PM.

Quick Reply: My Disco may be totaled, what should I do