Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Disco Will Not Start Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 04:11 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Well, also check for spark when cranking.

When you lock the truck, does alarm light on dash indicate? Want to be sure that light is working, alarm is off, etc. So you are not immobilized.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:42 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The alarm light never flashes. My remote does not work but I think I have disarmed the system by unlocking the drivers door. The parking lights flash and the interior light comes on when I unlock it, but the security light never flashes.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:20 PM
Three Wheeling

Hi Guys,
I just replaced the CPS and still no spark and no fuel. Anything else I can check? Should the security system disarm itself by unlocking the driver's door?
Also I unplugged the CPS and checked the three wires to see if they had power with the key on. None of the CPS wires had power although I'm not sure if they are suppose to.
Thanks,
Jason

Last edited by Jason428sc; 03-25-2012 at 03:51 PM. Reason: cps wiring addition
Old 03-25-2012, 05:04 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason428sc
Hi Guys,
I just replaced the CPS and still no spark and no fuel. Anything else I can check? Should the security system disarm itself by unlocking the driver's door?
Also I unplugged the CPS and checked the three wires to see if they had power with the key on. None of the CPS wires had power although I'm not sure if they are suppose to.
Thanks,
Jason
The wires to the CPS should NOT have any current going to it.
Make sure that it is installed properly ( has bushings ).
The sensor goes on the studs then the bushings followed by the nuts.

Old 03-25-2012, 05:27 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

The crank sensor only sends a signal, it does not get voltage from the ECU but sends a signal under 5 volts when activated.
The fact that your alarm light is not flashing is where you need to be looking, it should flash after locking and unlocking so I would guess you have an alarm issue.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:10 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks guys for the quick responce. I went back out to check the alarm again and I was wrong the light does work. I just didn't give it time to set (10 seconds) before I disarmed it before. So, if I arm it and wait 10 seconds, the light will start blinking. Then I turn the key and unlock the door, the light stops blinking and disarms. The alarm seems to be working properly. Is the alarm the same as the immoblizer?

Old 03-25-2012, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator

They work hand in hand. Immobilzation takes place when truck is not running and locked. If alarm trips an additional step might take place. The driver door key or fob is used to control the system. Yours appears to be working normally.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:14 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

How exactly are you checking for good spark? Have you tried checking for spark on a different plug on the other side of the engine?

I was thinking maybe bad coil pack if you have ruled out the CPS and anti-theft problems. Are the fuel injector harness multiplugs plugged into the sides of the coil pack?

This my seem obvious but i'll ask. There is enough gas in the tank right?

Old 03-28-2012, 10:05 AM
Three Wheeling

I did the screw driver in the spark plug boot on the drivers side only. i haven't checked for spark on the other side. Would a bad coil pack keep the fuel pump from turning on? I've got gas in the tank. I think this weekend I will take the upper intake off and recheck all of the wiring to the injectors, coils, ect.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

Fuel pump should come on for a few seconds, then times out if engine not running.

Quick Reply: My Disco Will Not Start Please Help