Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Discovery In the snow Issues.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 06:30 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Discovery In the snow Issues.

First year with the D2 in the snow and slick roads.Tires are Nitto tera Graplers.

My first impressions are not so Good. I really do not like the AWD or 4WD system, it seems without the CDL the front axel has no Idea what the Rear axel is doing and is prone to sliding sideways. Even letting off the Gas the truck will not track correctly.

I have lived in snow country for 20 years and the Mitsu Montero SR AWD selection was so much more stable. The Rear seems to push the Front around unless you going straight.

I see why they brought back the CDL option.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:02 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: My Discovery In the snow Issues.

i have had zero issues,,,

Name:  1229199290458.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  40.0 KB

Name:  1229202444961.jpg
Views: 923
Size:  83.6 KB

Name:  1229199124472.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  92.1 KB

Old 12-19-2008, 07:20 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

might be those tires, I think graplers are more all-terrain mud tires than snow.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:46 PM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: NiteTrain

might be those tires, I think graplers are more all-terrain mud tires than snow.

Would agree you'll do well to make a switch. thosenittos say snow on them but get poor reviews-check out the comparison widget on tirerack.com. I run pirelli scorpion ICE & SNOW on my D2, they are rated the highest of any non-studded tire for winter performance, and what a difference they make. i am almost positive my TC is inop too (3 amigos) may want to check yours, so I'm very carefully to keep the rear end stuck in turns. D2s are not light trucks.
________
LovelyWendie

Last edited by phatduc; 05-03-2011 at 08:48 PM.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:57 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our 2004 Discohas Continental Cross Contact with not a lot of tread left, and the rig rides like a champ... Definitely a great rig in the snow and ice... I need to replace them, and probably will replace them with something more aggressive, but even with these, it's great. Its all the natural weight in the stern.

J

Old 12-19-2008, 08:22 PM
Mudding

100% i have the Conti's on my Disco and her pathfinder. read the reviews. ive had that "street tire" in a foot of sloppy mud, snow, ice and rain, and scorching hot summer pavement. these tires rock in all conditions considering they are not and agressive off road tire. They ride awsome on the highway, no noise and wear awesome even on mine with ACE. Unless i deem the truck strickly off roadill never put any other tire back on it. the price rocks as well.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:37 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Its not the truck its your tires.
I currently have Michilin LTX M/S on mine right now and have no problems.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:42 PM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: phatduc

ORIGINAL: NiteTrain

Would agree you'll do well to make a switch. those nittos say snow on them but get poor reviews- check out the comparison widget on tirerack.com. I run pirelli scorpion ICE & SNOW on my D2, they are rated the highest of any non-studded tire for winter performance, and what a difference they make. i am almost positive my TC is inop too (3 amigos) may want to check yours, so I'm very carefully to keep the rear end stuck in turns. D2s are not light trucks.
I have yet to read a poor review on the Terra Grapplers (other than a few oddball tires that had very short lives). I fitted a set of Terra Grappler A/Ts to my Disco II and they are great in the snow. Probably not up to the quality of snow tires, but they work very well.

Alignment can make a big difference in snow - I would check to make sure your tires are properly aligned. Also, consider that the tires are quite wide, which isn't the best in snow. My Disco will push the front in turns when giving it quite a bit of gas, but that has more to do with the weight balance of the truck and 4WD. Maybe you should consider having a few more sipes cut into your tires.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:42 PM
Drifting

Those are great pictures sloppyjoe, where were they taken??

Old 12-19-2008, 09:50 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: rwb86

Those are great pictures sloppyjoe, where were they taken??
he stole them from land rover monthly magazine! go pick up a copy and you'll see.

Quick Reply: My Discovery In the snow Issues.