Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first Land Rover

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 07:06 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first Land Rover

I bought a 2002 Land Rover Discovery II SE7. Seemed to be a great vehicle. After about 2 weeks of moderate driving it ran hot on me. I had had the oil changed that morning and all fluids topped off.

Took it back to the mechanic to find the bleeder valve union had a small crack in it. Of course I was told the head gasket was most likely blown as well. The truck runs perfect. I'm not sure how it could have a blown gasket.

I had the bleeder replaced and system bleed. It has ran great for several 1000 miles. I've kept my eyes on the coolant, and it seems to be holding pretty good. The other day I jumped in to go somewhere and notice it gurgling from what sounds like behind the radio. I turned the bleeder screw and it let some air out.

Tonight driving home the red light came on saying it was hot, but no sooner it cooled back down. I checked the coolant and it was a little low. Still visible in the jug. I tried adding more but it wouldn't hold much.

I started it with the cap off to see if I could add more with it running. By the time I got back around to look at it, it was bubbling out the top. Not sure what to think, or where I should begin.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:17 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like head gasket to me. Exhaust gasses entering coolant system causing gurgling behind dash and bubbling out of reservoir tank.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:20 PM
Three Wheeling

You may have engine compression in the cooling system, and that is pushing out the coolant. Someone needs to preform a block test, if the fluid changes color you a breach like head gaskets. Try to bleed the cooling system cold.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:29 PM
3rd Gear

Would it not run well if the head gasket was blown?

Old 11-27-2012, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

And quit trusting the gauge. Hook up a scanner or Ultra Gauge so you can see temp in digital fashion. Gauge is built to stay at 50% until deep fried. By seeing that your temps keep climbing, you don't have to go into deep fried zone before reacting.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:33 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Pull your dipstick (no, not that one). Does the oil on it look like a chocolate/vanilla milkshake? No? Keep reading.

More than likely you still have air in the system. Only bled the DII when its stone cold. Pull the coolant reservoir out of it mounting bracket as high above the engine as the hoses will allow. Remove the cap and hold it there while you unscrew the bleed screw. Let it sit this way and let gravity run its course. Monitor the coolant level. Fill the reservoir to the recommended levels and fire up the engine (reservoir) still in the air w/ the cap off and bleed screw still open. Once you see coolant spitting out of the bled screw, tighten it down. Remount the reservoir and you're good to go.

After completing the above procedure get your coolant system pressure tested to rule a bad head gasket/s.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:34 PM
Three Wheeling

I'll ask it.. Did you have the rover inspected by a mechanic prior to purchase?

Old 11-27-2012, 07:41 PM
3rd Gear

I took it to a local mechanic who looked it over and said it seemed to be in good shape. After purchasing it I took it by the LR Dealership and talked with a guy there. He didn't do any test, but said it runs really good. He also lead me to believe it was in good shape.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

It may still be, but it won't if you keep overheating it.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:24 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it has a small head gasket leak it will not cause it to run poorly. And dont forget to inspect your front drive shaft. If it has two grease zirks on it it is factory and needs replaced now.

Quick Reply: My first Land Rover