Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My "newtome" DII is serving up codes buffet style, advice please.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 07:41 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default My "newtome" DII is serving up codes buffet style, advice please.

Just ran the codes and it appears all 13 (YES 13!) are dealing with the O2 sensors and cylinder misfires (except for unknown P1300). This is my first LR and I could use any and all advice/knowledge/experience shared!

P0134 - o2 sensor
P0154 - o2 sensor
P0161 - o2 sensor heater circuit
P0135 - same as above
P0155 - same as above
P0141 - same as above
P0160 - o2 sensor no activity
P1300 - definition not found
P0306 - cylinder 6 misfire
P0305 - cyl 5 misfire
P0300 - multiple cylinder misfire
P0303 - cyl 3 misfire
P0308 - cyl 8 misfire

I've got a large gasket job I'm pricing out right now while the entire gasket set is on its way from AB...so questions I'd love to get answered!

1. What all needs to be done?
2. What should be my priority?
3. What to get done while doing gaskets job?
4. Should I be locating a good machine shop right now?
5. Are the rear o2 sensors least important right now?

I just cleaned the throttle body tonight right after the diff fluids change, but as you can see with the cylinder misfires...it isn't running real strong!
Thanks in advance!!!!!!!

Old 08-10-2010, 09:03 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

did you order new head bolts with your HG set? you should also put a new thermostat in at that time. do you plan on doing the HG yourself? if so then find a machine shop to inspect and possiblyt resurface the heads. You should also fit some 8mm magnecor wires and some bosch plat +4 plugs. Put it all back together, clear the codes, then read the codes again. Half of those codes should be gone. Than you can be positive you need all 4 o2 sensors replaced.

also do the rest of the 60k maitenance, swapping all the fluids.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:52 AM
Rock Crawling

Just checked the codes again after only driving about 2-3 miles since clearing them and got 8 repeat codes, and i'm pretty sure it's only a matter of time before the missing 5 from previous run show up.
Also of note, each time i've started it up after clearing the codes the 3 amigos have shown up, but once I start it up again they are gone.

Here are the 8 codes:
o2 sensors - P0134, P0154, P0135, P0155, P0161
cylinder misfires - P0308 (cy8), P0306 (cy6), P1300 (mult)

So...should I go ahead and order new plugs & wires? The wires don't seem to be too old and I don't want to start a debate between 7mm & 8mm, but I do like to hear what others use, have liked, and why. AND I wouldn't mind getting newer better ones for my piece of mind anyways. My rig currently has Belden Premium 7mm class F wires on it...they can't be very old, but I'm up for replacing them anyways.

Any other knowledge, wisdom, or experience that can help lead me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by DiscoIIBrandon; 10-11-2010 at 09:58 AM.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:57 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
did you order new head bolts with your HG set? you should also put a new thermostat in at that time. do you plan on doing the HG yourself? if so then find a machine shop to inspect and possiblyt resurface the heads. You should also fit some 8mm magnecor wires and some bosch plat +4 plugs. Put it all back together, clear the codes, then read the codes again. Half of those codes should be gone. Than you can be positive you need all 4 o2 sensors replaced.

also do the rest of the 60k maitenance, swapping all the fluids.
I haven't actually placed the order yet...was looking for the advice on priority and what else to check/replace first. I have been made aware to order the head bolt kit and thermostat with the gasket set, so thank you there.

I won't be doing the gasket job myself, until I purchased this LR I hadn't done much beyond checking/filling fluids and putting gas in a car! But I'm very motivated and really enjoy learning everything I can do myself. My helpful bro-in-law has been holding my hand through the checklist of 60,000+mile list.

So far I've changed the oil, oil filter, air filter, cleaned the t-body, changed the diff fluids, t-case, cleaned the MAF *mistake*, seafoam in the tank (soon to run through vacuum tube). And have loved every step.

Last edited by DiscoIIBrandon; 10-11-2010 at 09:58 AM.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:16 PM
TReK

Maybe a dumb question, but are you running premium fuel?

The PO of my truck didn't run premium so the SES was on when I bought it. After 2 tanks of premium (one with Seafoam) an induction and throttle body cleaning my SES light went off. I had a coupe of the codes you had and they disappeared after putting in good gas and Seafoaming.

It sounds like your situation might be a little more serious, but it never hurts to start simple and work your way up to the more complex. I'd say once you get done with the induction cleaning, swap out your plugs and wires (yes go with 8mm, that is the only thing people on this forum agree on).... and see what happens.

Congrats on the "new" Rover by the way and welcome!

Old 08-10-2010, 01:27 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
Maybe a dumb question, but are you running premium fuel?

The PO of my truck didn't run premium so the SES was on when I bought it. After 2 tanks of premium (one with Seafoam) an induction and throttle body cleaning my SES light went off. I had a coupe of the codes you had and they disappeared after putting in good gas and Seafoaming.

It sounds like your situation might be a little more serious, but it never hurts to start simple and work your way up to the more complex. I'd say once you get done with the induction cleaning, swap out your plugs and wires (yes go with 8mm, that is the only thing people on this forum agree on).... and see what happens.

Congrats on the "new" Rover by the way and welcome!
First off, not a dumb question for a newbie, but yes I'm running premium. I'm going through my 2nd tank now which has the seafoam in it, and i'll do the induction cleaning tonight. I've been advised to go plug and wires first, new front o2 sensors 2nd, and go from there. So i'm ordering the bosch +4's and magnecor 8mm's now from BP utah (formerly rover connection).

For both sets its 190+shipping...anyone know of any better?

Thanks for the welcome and the advice!

Old 08-10-2010, 01:38 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by DiscoIIBrandon
and i'll do the induction cleaning tonight
Good stuff, get ready for some smoke and some possibly angry neighbors! Do you have a good idea how to do it?

I got my 8mm Magnecors online from Apex Performance (LRF recommended) and they were around $90, got my +4 plugs were around $5 Each from Rock Auto.

No matter where you get your plugs, here's a link to a rebate from from Bosch to get a little money back.

http://www.boschautoparts.com/promot...lugRebate.aspx

Old 08-10-2010, 01:43 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
Good stuff, get ready for some smoke and some possibly angry neighbors! Do you have a good idea how to do it?

I got my 8mm Magnecors online from Apex Performance (LRF recommended) and they were around $90, got my +4 plugs were around $5 Each from Rock Auto.

No matter where you get your plugs, here's a link to a rebate from from Bosch to get a little money back.

http://www.boschautoparts.com/promot...lugRebate.aspx
I have done the ol' seafoam once before on my old jeep, and i've got a very helpful LR enthusiast for a bro-in-law...otherwise I'd be dumbfounded for the most part (besides the premium fuel thing! lol)

Thanks for the referral companies, i'm gonna check them out right now...and my neighbors will be fine, they are either too old to see the smoke, or too white trash to even notice.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:16 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

yes apexperformance is the spot for Magnecors. just make sure you get the 8mm's and plugs you can get anywhere i got my on amazon. once you get new wires and plugs you might clear some of those codes but until if your HG's are shot then you will still read misfires.

Old 08-10-2010, 05:53 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
yes apexperformance is the spot for Magnecors. just make sure you get the 8mm's and plugs you can get anywhere i got my on amazon. once you get new wires and plugs you might clear some of those codes but until if your HG's are shot then you will still read misfires.
Well I just lined up my HG's job for next wednesday along with all the other gaskets...and while they are out I'm gonna have the heads resurfaced and valves checked and pressurized etc. I found a local previous LR dealer mechanic that is quite cost-effective.

I now have plugs and wires on the way along with front o2 sensors.

Thanks again.

Last edited by DiscoIIBrandon; 10-11-2010 at 09:57 AM.

Quick Reply: My "newtome" DII is serving up codes buffet style, advice please.