Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My "newtome" DII is serving up codes buffet style, advice please.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:04 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoIIBrandon
Well I just lined up my HG's job for next wednesday along with all the other gaskets...and while they are out I'm gonna have the heads resurfaced and valves checked and pressurized etc. I found a local previous LR dealer mechanic that is quite cost-effective.

I now have plugs and wires on the way along with front o2 sensors...soon to learn how to install all of which myself! (with the help of my bro-in-law)

Thanks again.
there is a write up in the tech section on changing the wires without removing the intake manifold. make sure to read that and print the diagram so you don't cross wires when swapping the old ones out for the new.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:25 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
there is a write up in the tech section on changing the wires without removing the intake manifold. make sure to read that and print the diagram so you don't cross wires when swapping the old ones out for the new.
Yes, I have read through all of the how-to and tech articles (at least once) and will definitely be printing out the diagram before undertaking the wires.

Thanks.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:25 AM
Rock Crawling
Default Updates!!!!!!!

Down from 13 codes to 5, and I'm narrowing in on the last five!!

Codes now gone: 0135, 0155, 1300, 0306, 0305, 0300, 0303, 0308
Current codes: 0134, 0154, 0141, 0161, 0160

Here's what I've done to date, most of it preventative maintenance:

Gaskets - heads, intake manifold, valve, t-body deicer
Heads machined
Valve job
Serp belt
T/stat
Prestone coolant
Oil change
Oil filter
Air filter
T-body cleaned
Bosch plat +4's
Magnecor 8mm's
Diff fluids
T/case fluid (need to re-seal soon)
ATF fluid & filter
o2 sensors (front 2)

After the gasket job I was running the cylinder misfire codes because I cleaned the MAF sensor *ROOKIE MISTAKE*. Once I got the new MAF sensor & intake hose (mine was ripped) I dropped all codes except the current 5. I've been doing other maintenance stuff such as fluids while I waited to buy the 02 sensors.

I ordered the front 2 o2 sensors from Atlantic British and installed them. Nadda change, same codes. Called them up and told them to send me all 4 and I'll mail back the first front o2's.

While installing the front o2's this weekend I noticed that I missing 2 out of 3 nuts on the drivers side underneath where the y-pipe connects to the exhaust manifold!!!!! (missing another nut on the passengers side too) I'm guessing there is enough gap between the manifold & y-pipe to cause my codes even with good o2 sensors!?!? Anyone know off-hand what size nut I'm looking for to fit these threads? I will post pictures up tonight, but should I be able to just tighten the new nuts on? 1 of the 2 threads without nuts is flush with the y-pipe but I figure if I tighten the other one, it will decrease the gap and give me room to tighten the last one on?

So, aside from the post-cat drivers o2 that I can't get off even after PB blasting the hell out of it (if a longer wrench doesn't work, I'll try heating it up?), I figure I need to find the right size nuts first to give these new o2's a chance at success.

Also, anyone have a picture of where their post-cat o2 sensor clips connect? Mine seem to either be stuffed up out of the way or hanging.

Lastly, my SLS has been acting up to boot. I'm following another thread where the guy is having the same exact issue as me - every other day or so it randomly deflates while driving, but after turning car off for an hour or two it will re-inflate. Hopefully a cheap fix as I'd rather not convert to coils yet.

Thanks for reading and for any helpful advice or tips!

Old 10-11-2010, 11:19 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

yes that leak is causing your codes. do you have the rave manual? http://www.landroverresource.com/rave.zip

Old 10-11-2010, 11:37 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
yes that leak is causing your codes. do you have the rave manual? http://www.landroverresource.com/rave.zip
Yes I have it, thank you. As of yet, I haven't been able to find what size hex nuts these are. I'm sure I can always check the 1 or 2 that are still there later tonight.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:40 AM
Rock Crawling
Default Updates

I hate reading posts when someone had the same problems that I'm having, only for them to not report back with what their remedy was...so I'm reporting back so I don't kick my own ***!

All (4) new o2 sensors and that took care of my rear o2 codes (0160, 0161, and 0141). Just down to P0134 and P0154 (front o2's no activity). I've gone through 2 replacement sets of front o2's from AB and still have these.
I'm going to try and clean the connections one more time and use some dialectric grease on the connections and see if I can't get some activity out of these. I have had a slight oil leak that seems to get sprayed back, i'm guessing both crank seals could be replaced, but I think it started when I went to mobil 1 5w-30, so I'll see if the Rotella slows it up before I get the seals done. The connectors don't seem to have much or any oil on them, but its possibly the culprit.

I've also run a can of 44k through the tank and just changed the oil(rotella shout-out) and filter (mobil301) and tossed in some BG MOA into the oil. The car runs smooth, very strong and the throttle response is fantastic...but it is running very rich still and I don't know what else would be causing this then the front o2's not reading at all or properly. Quite a bit of water and some black stuff comes out of the exhaust when revved quite a bit.
That's it for now!

Old 01-23-2012, 07:30 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ever get those codes cleared? If so, what did you end up doing?

Old 02-23-2012, 08:20 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by jrm123180
ever get those codes cleared? If so, what did you end up doing?
Hah, no. Actually, I'm just writing up a new thread now to try and solve this problem. It will be titled "electrical geeks unite".