Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My next move?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 06:54 PM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My next move?

Alright, I need your genius brains. 03 Disco, 168k miles. No history from previous owner. Ive had it about 6 months with no issues.

I was wheeling a few days ago and beat it up pretty hard, but nothing too crazy. On the way back I got a flashing CEL and I plugged my OBD reader and got a Cylinder 1 misfire. It went away after I got back on the road and it came back a couple of other times usually while giving it gas.

Today I changed plugs and wires, that was fun. Wires and plugs looked horrible... but, nothing changed still the flashing CEL while coasting and while giving it gas. It seems to like about 2000 rpms, but the moment I step on it, or let go of the gas completely it flashes again, cylinder 1 misfire.

Here are some screenshots from my gauge as it was flashing...

Oxygen sensor? What else would you like to see from my gauge?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Old 09-21-2019, 08:58 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

Is it only cylinder #1? How did the plug look when it was removed? Fouling etc?

Old 09-21-2019, 09:15 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,462 Likes on 1,038 Posts

Easiest way to diagnose a misfire isolated to one cylinder is the process of elimination - what is unique to that cylinder. Change things and see if it follows the part or stays with the cylinder. Start with the plug, then the wire, then the coil. None of those? You could swap injectors, or pop the valve cover and see if everything is ok, but I would try to determine if we had a rich or lean condition on that bank. I don't like digital readouts of oxygen sensors because you can't see the changes. You need an elm 327 with the torque app so you can graph the oxygen sensor outputs and make sure they are cycling like they are supposed to. However, based on your posted photos your bank 1 is reading lean, but I can't really tell because digital only gives a snapshot in time. When oxygens sensors fail, they fail full lean and the ecu pours the fuel to it. The alternate possibility is it really is lean and that is why it is missing, but the flashing CEL usually indicates converter damaging condition which is typically super rich (which it would be if the ECU is pouring fuel to it because it thinks it is full lean). You can disconnect the oxygen sensor and it will go in to speed density mode and use the MAF. You can swap oxygen sensors left and right and see if it moves the miss to a different cylinder bank.

Based on the fact that you changed the wires and plugs, I am guessing a bad 02 sensor, but could be a bad MAF also.

Old 09-22-2019, 09:45 AM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are the codes I pulled this morning...